Do you think AOO will get a revamp?

Talk about anything at all....
VicMint

Do you think AOO will get a revamp?

Post by VicMint »

Hello everybody, this is my first post. I come from the spanish community, but since this one is more active, I'll just stay here.

My question is, will OpenOffice ever get a revamp on its design? While it's still usable, I think it looks a bit too XP era or Office 2003. I will keep using it, of course, but it was something I was wondering and I would like to know what do you think about this :super:
OpenOffice 4.1 on Linux Mint
Hagar Delest

Re: Do you think AOO will get a revamp?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you check the news about AOO (or the discussions about that in this very forum), you'll see that there is a serious lack of development. Thus, don't hold your breath for a revamp.

LibreOffice has somehow revamped its UI, or rather mimicked the MS Office ribbon (never tried it myself, I stick to the legacy menus; the sidebar being the only improvement, but also available in AOO).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

VicMint wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:23 pm Hello everybody, this is my first post. I come from the spanish community, but since this one is more active, I'll just stay here.

My question is, will OpenOffice ever get a revamp on its design? While it's still usable, I think it looks a bit too XP era or Office 2003. I will keep using it, of course, but it was something I was wondering and I would like to know what do you think about this :super:
I don't care about a revamp; I use the program as is, with great satisfaction.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Well I mostly use LibreOffice and like it, though I don't use it with its version of 'ribbon menus', traditional menus for me.

However, I do prefer the look of OpenOffice and don't think it needs a revamp solely in terms of appearance. It does though need significant work on preventing corruption of documents/files when a user shuts down their computer too swiftly while OpenOffice is in the process of saving the file. It also needs to get ODF v1.3 implemented, instead of being stuck on ODF v1.2. The chances of OpenOffice doing any of these things are, I would think, vanishingly small indeed. For other thoughts on this kind of theme see this thread: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]