[Solved] Change function of Tab ket

Discuss the word processor
stebobibo

[Solved] Change function of Tab ket

Post by stebobibo »

How would you change the function of a regular key (like a-z keys, numbers, other punctiation, etc). The hotkeys menu I was able to find seems to be only able to change the function of hotkeys for openoffice tasks. This is Tools>Customize>Keyboard Tab. From it I can only customize processes of the writer program, but not what basic key presses do.

Specifically, right now I want to change what the tab button does. I want to make it so that instead of moving to specific tab stops when I press it (which it does even if I haven't set my own tab stops), it just does a "long space". Like let's say the equivalent of pressing the space bar 5 times. Is this possible? If not is there another work around? I want to be able to conveniently make a uniform large space with the press of a button. Thank you!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] Q: Change function of Tab in OpenOffice?; A: Not possible -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.5
RoryOF

Re: Change the fuction of a regular key (in my case, tab)?

Post by RoryOF »

It would be helpful to know why you want "uniformly long space". If you require this for indenting text there may be other ways to do that.

In addition, such a "long space" as you seek may become distorted if you apply paragraph formatting.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You should post your operating system in your signature. If you're using Windows, look at AutoHotKey .
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

stebobibo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:45 pm Specifically, right now I want to change what the tab button does.
The Tab key is fundamental to the operation of OpenOffice, and fortunately you cannot customize its function because doing so would cause features to break and you would have to attempt to undo your customization. Consider using Writer's AutoText feature instead.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Or if you explain your desired formatting, we may be able to advise a better way.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Not sure what you mean by a long space but you can run any command or your own macro on pressing the tab by using a keyhandler. Macros will have to be enabled for the attached document showing this.
Attachments
key handler for tab.odt
(11.01 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Or maybe easier, create an AutoText with five spaces, then give it a shortcut and it will do the job in few keystrokes.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10