[Solved] Change resolution of images

Discuss the presentation application
S12

[Solved] Change resolution of images

Post by S12 »

Greetings,
how do you change the resolution of images so the size of the presentation file would be smaller. Such as in MS Powerpoint, you could change the resolution of all the images to 300 ppi or 75 ppi.
Hope I got this problem explained well. Cant find the way to do that, dumba&& that I am. Surely it can be done in openoffice, not much to do without such an option, with enormous presentation files?!
Last edited by S12 on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 11
FJCC

Re: Change resolution of images

Post by FJCC »

There is an extension to reduce the size of a presentation. I just did a quick test and it worked on my Windows 10 system despite a complaint about not being able to read a file during the installation process.
To use it, download the extension, us the Tools -> Extension Manager to Add it to OpenOffice, then restart OpenOffice. There will be a new menu item under Tools that starts a wizard. Among the options is one to reduce the dpi of images.
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... -minimizer
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Such a Minimizer facility is built into release Impress, under /Tools /Minimise Presentation. It allows various parameters be selected which will change the size of the minimized presentation. You my need to play with the settings to get a suitable combination of size and quality.

I don't think there is any need to download the minimiser extension to which FJCC pointed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Doh! Thanks for correcting that, Rory!
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My memory, such as it is, is that such an extension was produced for OO years ago (perhaps at the time of OO 2.8?) and was later incorporated into the main code.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

@ S12

Excuse me Sir, but am a bit confused. I.e. you introduced your complaint in pronouncing MS Power Point. So what does DRAW program have to do with it?

Is it because in DRAW you could easily scale images?

Thanks for explanations.

Kind regards

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Change resolution of images

Post by Hagar Delest »

No, MS PowerPoint was mentioned as a comparison (my emphasis):
S12 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:49 am how do you change the resolution of images so the size of the presentation file would be smaller. Such as in MS Powerpoint, you could change the resolution of all the images to 300 ppi or 75 ppi.
OP was asking if the same feature was available in AOO.
Note that since it is related to presentation, I moved this topic from the Draw to the Impress section.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10