[Solved] Apostrophe shows up when importing; can't calculate

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ceeplane@aol.com

[Solved] Apostrophe shows up when importing; can't calculate

Post by ceeplane@aol.com »

When I export data from my investment firm website to Open Office an apostrophy ( ' ) shows up in the cells with dollars or percent values in them. This makes it so that the spreadsheet won't calculate formulas like SUM. How do I get rid of the apostrophy? For example '$4,123 Thanks in advance to anyone who helps. Please know that it is appreciated.

Tim
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]. Add green tick
Open Office 4 Windows 11
MrProgrammer

Re: Apostrophe ' shows up when importing cant calculate

Post by MrProgrammer »

ceeplane@aol.com wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:52 pm When I export data from my investment firm website to Open Office an apostrophy ( ' ) shows up in the cells with dollars or percent values in them
The apostrophe appears because your procedure for import of the data into OpenOffice is incorrect. Read Q41/A41 in this link and perform the import again.
[Tutorial] Text to Columns

If you need additional assistance copy the first dozen or so lines from your exported data and post it in your topic. You can change some of the names and numbers if the data is confidential.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
ceeplane@aol.com

Re: Apostrophe shows up when importing; can't calculate

Post by ceeplane@aol.com »

Once I figured out where it meant when it said to click on "DETECT SPECIAL NUMBERS" That did it! Thank you so much.
Open Office 4 Windows 11