[Solved] Spreadsheet and chart duplication

Discuss the spreadsheet application
CrankyEngineer

[Solved] Spreadsheet and chart duplication

Post by CrankyEngineer »

I wonder if anyone can help me to simplify a task that I carry out at about this time every year. I have a calc file containing 13 sheets (tabs), one for each month (sheet named accordingly) and a summary sheet. Each of the twelve month sheets contains rows for each day with the date in column A, a running grand total in B, data for each day in column C, and a bar chart of that data by day. My issue is this. From the forum I have discovered a way to duplicate last year's spreadsheet to create a file for this year. However, like just renaming a copy of last year's file, it is a complete duplicate. That's fine as far as it goes, I can change the dates and delete the data. However, the charts all keep their ranges locked to the previous year's file. E.g. despite changing the date column on each tab to 2024 and deleting all of the data, the chart still displays the previous year's data and dates. If I inspect the ranges for the charts they are all prefixed by $, so all link back to their respective sheets in the 2023 file. Is there a way to copy/duplicate a file so that the ranges of the twelve charts are all associated with the new file's data cells rather than the old?
Better still, is it possible to duplicate only sheets and their names, with headings, formulae, formats, links between sheets in the file, and chart layouts, but without any data and with all ranges specific to the new file not its ancestor?
Last edited by CrankyEngineer on Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Home version 20H2
FJCC

Re: Spreadsheet and chart duplication

Post by FJCC »

Try preparing a file exactly how you want a new one to look and then save it as a template with the menu File -> Templates -> Save. Choose the My Templates folder to save it in. When you want a new file based on that template, choose File -> New -> Templates & Documents
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
CrankyEngineer

Re: Spreadsheet and chart duplication

Post by CrankyEngineer »

Now why didn't I think of that. Just one remaining issue though. The first data entry on the January tab was a carry forward from from December in the previous year when I first created the files many years ago. I now enter it manually. No matter how I have tried to replicate the file for the next year ever since, that link persists. After repeated attempts to remove it, it now points to a directory instead of a file and does nothing, except nag me to open links several times whilst opening. Is there any way to permanently remove links to other files? I've asked this before but never had a solution that works.
FJCC

Re: [SOLVED]Spreadsheet and chart duplication

Post by FJCC »

Does the cell with the link have a formula that starts with ='file:/// ? Is anything listed in the dialog reached with the menu Edit -> Links?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
CrankyEngineer

Re: [Solved] Spreadsheet and chart duplication

Post by CrankyEngineer »

Creating the template from scratch means that there are no inherited links, so the first solution has solved the other issue that I'd had before.