[Solved] Remove unwanted entries in AutoInput selection list

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jef212

[Solved] Remove unwanted entries in AutoInput selection list

Post by jef212 »

Hi all,

I'm a little at a loss because I can't find ANY topics or information in Open Office help regarding managing the "selection list" that allows a user to choose a previous entry for a cell in Calc. What I'm specifically looking for is a way to delete duplicate/incomplete entries so that I can just select the appropriate one without having to access the list or type the whole thing...

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks kindly,
Jeff M.

Edit: Changed subject, was Selection List 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
acknak

Re: Selection List

Post by acknak »

I'm not sure I understand what you want, but the "list" of entries for autocompletion is dynamic--there is no list you can edit, it's created on the fly from the values in the cells directly above the current cell. If there are incomplete or incorrect entries in the list, it's because they're already entered in other cells.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jef212

Post by jef212 »

Ahh... I didn't realize that it was completely dynamic. Thanks.
jeffM
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Filling out a column from a list of unique items is one of these typical database tasks. This is the main topic of any relational database. No matter if database or spreadsheet, you need a list of unique items to pick values from.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 545#p80545 is another issue, but it demonstrates validation lists (Data>Validity...)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Know_How

Post by Know_How »

This is a problem I have been attempting to solve for a long time but can find nothing in the options that pertains to “Selection List”. So everyone will be on the same page, we are talking about established spreadsheets rather than a new blank sheet. When right clicking on a cell, a pop-up box appears and at the bottom you will see “Selection List”. You can then choose something from the list and it will be placed into the cell. Unfortunately, there is no way to edit or delete saved items. However if you are not using the Selection List and just start typing a word, a variety of previously entered words are available. If you don't want the current word that auto fills, press the TAB key to see other saved words. Unless someone has a better idea, the only way I know of to flush this list is to uninstall Open Office and install a fresh copy.
Open Office Version 4114 Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There appears to be two types of Selection Lists. A Selection List created using Data > Validity can be edited using Data > Validity. Otherwise, the Selection List is dynamic and can't be edited.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Know_How wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:16 am This is a problem I have been attempting to solve …
If you need assistance with a problem, please open your own topic so we can help you. Describe the problem in detail, for example, what value are you typing in what cell? How is the feature not working as you would like? Attach a spreadsheet demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the spreadsheet itself). The quickest way to get a solution is to attach a spreadsheet.

This topic belongs to jef212 and requests in this topic for help with your problem will be removed.

Know_How wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:16 am Unfortunately, there is no way to edit or delete saved items.
Correct. That was explained by acknak 15 years ago in this topic. I am guessing that he used OpenOffice 3.1 then, but OpenOffice 4.1.14 operates the same way.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 Help: Tools → Cell Contents → AutoInput wrote:Switches the AutoInput function on and off, which automatically completes entries, based on other entries in the same column. The column is scanned up to a maximum of 2000 cells or 200 different strings.
The list does not include duplicates, numeric values, or values from formulas. I believe the dynamic list holds the last 2000 nonempty cells, stopping at 200 unique text values, though I know of no documentation which describes the process in detail.

Know_How wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:16 am However if you … just start typing a word, a variety of previously entered words are available.
The entries come from the same dynamic list that the Selection List would show, except only the entries which begin with the letters that you've typed are shown.

Know_How wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:16 am … the only way I know of to flush this list is to uninstall Open Office and install a fresh copy.
A new copy will build the same dynamic list from the existing spreadsheet data that the old one did. Reinstalling would be a waste of your time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

Know_How wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:16 am Unless someone has a better idea, the only way I know of to flush this list is to uninstall Open Office and install a fresh copy.
As far as I know, that selection list is filled with the values that come from the same column, nothing else.
So, if you want to delete or modify something, you should look in the same column.
Somewhere is the value you are looking for.

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)