[Workaround] Assign default color for different shapes

Discuss the drawing application
JMarkle

[Workaround] Assign default color for different shapes

Post by JMarkle »

My apologies if this question has been addressed before, but my searches came up empty.

I have been tasked with changing many of our Methods and Producers documentation into flow charts.

Is there a way that I can assigned a default color to each shape used within the template that I have created.

Examples:

Octagon - Red
Rectangle - Blue
Oval - Magenta
Diamond - Grey
Triangle - Yellow

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Let's face it, for those of is with OCD tendencies, Open Office destroys Microsloth products of all types!

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Workaround] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.15
AOO4115m2(Build:9813) - Rev. 5f13fa0070
Win 11 Enterpirise - AMD Ryzen 7 5700U - 8 GB RAM
FJCC

Re: Assign A Default Color For Different Shapes

Post by FJCC »

I don't think you can set that by shape. You can define Graphics styles for each shape, so that after drawing the shape you can double click on the style in the Styles and Formatting window (I would have that selected in the Sidebar for easy access) and apply the color and any other properties particular to that shape.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
JMarkle

Post by JMarkle »

My quick workaround for this has been to create a master sheet that utilizes the shapes, colors and text styles that I use, and I'm currently opening that at the same time I create the new document. It's requiring a ton of copy/paste actions, but it is at least a temp solution.
OpenOffice 4.1.15
AOO4115m2(Build:9813) - Rev. 5f13fa0070
Win 11 Enterpirise - AMD Ryzen 7 5700U - 8 GB RAM
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Maybe a template would save you some trouble. You can make a document with all the shapes and text you need and save it as a template with the menu File -> Templates -> Save. I would put it in the My Templates folder. When you want a new document, open it by choosing that template with File -> New -> Templates and Documents. Then you will have everything ready in your working document. You can either insert a new sheet and copy onto it or work on the original sheet. I would still set the shape properties using styles so that if you ever have to change all the objects of one type, you can edit the style rather than each object.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.