[Dropped] Spaces lost in copy from .doc file

Discuss the word processor
Don R

[Dropped] Spaces lost in copy from .doc file

Post by Don R »

Ok folks, I have a problem with false merging of some words in typing when transferring text from a Word 87 .doc to almost any other medium in that it runs together random words (not previously appearing together or at the end of the line).
Checking the 'non printing' characters it the bit of text that follows it has no returns embedded in it just the 'little dot' between each and every word, any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.
The above typed on Notepad because I dont trust my OO Writer using MS7 to transfer it to make any sense
What follows transfers as coming off word7 on OOW and transferred to Word Pad and sent in wordpad!. HELP, any ideas
Not a new problem be happening for some time.... Use Word because folks I share with use it ... that may end!

Turns out he had been sneaking a sip or three from my wifes tasty concoction as we chatted ….... we had to carry him back to our boat!

Turns out he had been sneaking a sip or threefrom my wifes tasty concoction as we chatted ….... we had to carryhim back to our boat!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows 2000
RoryOF

Re: output from Word on OO to other mediums

Post by RoryOF »

When you came to end of line at "three" and "carry", did you press Spacebar, or instead press Ctrl Enter before typing "from" or "him"?

OpenOffice automatically breaks lines at the appropriate space - there is no need to [read: DO NOT] press Ctrl Enter or Enter. Press Enter only at the end of a paragraph (which in some cases may be a single line paragraph).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: Output from MS Word on AOO to other mediums

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload a sample file somewhere (see How to attach a document here)?
Note that .doc is quite deprecated now.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Don R

Post by Don R »

It is possible that I entered back space to correct typing and a space to add a missed one....I am a VERY poor typist, I do not understand how the viewed corrections do not come out ok elsewhere. I will try and upload a clean sample but I am not sure it will help beyond the showing the dots in the one and the missing space in the other.....
Sorry wizz on electrical mechanical YEARS ago but struggle with modern tech!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The dots stands for spaces when you display the formatting characters (pilcrow button in the toolbar).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Don R

Post by Don R »

I am aware of that Hagar I was trying to indicate that it showed the spaces in the original text but not in the transferd text, I will try and show a better example, it may take a while I am no longer good at the keyboard (or modern tech!)
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

How are you transfering the text?

Have you tried converting the file to Richtext (.rtf) then opening it?
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There should be no or minimal problems if the text was Saved using "Word 97/2000 format" which one selects from the Save As dropdown. The other two Word formats offered are very much out of date and should not be used. RTF should not be needed except for faultfinding.

If a space is omitted, as in the original examples, it is most likely because one was not inserted when typing, as I earlier suggested, perhaps using Ctrl Enter to mark a line break instead of permitting OpenOffice break the line itself.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Don R

Post by Don R »

Thanks for all the help guys .... as I said above 'It is possible that I entered back space to correct typing and a space to add a missed one..' but I do not believe I entered the other options suggested as I dont use ctrl at all when typing and it happens multiple times, in some copy and paste text to other applications. I am using word97 / 2000,
I do a LOT of corrections and i will try and narrow it done more and send better examples later!
In all text in 97 it APPEARS correct but on copy and paste to boards and the like it goes randomly off

Relax guys, just checked it again with the original text to the original board where it previously had it happen multiple times to several forums and its clean and green..... will get back to this board if happens again AND I learn more...
Thanks again Don
Don R

Post by Don R »

Doing it again but I give up with THIS board, wont even accept a 150k jpg pic of the problem .... have had less problem with several 'chat' boards that take big pics of damn near anything. NOT everyone using OO is a computer genus eh
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

If your attachment is too large then use a file sharing site like MediaFire or similar. Upload your file to the sharing site then make a link in your reply to the file on the sharing site.

Rather than post a screenshot, post/attach the document file that is showing the problem.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Don R wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:06 am Doing it again but I give up with THIS board, wont even accept a 150k jpg pic of the problem ....
Trying to diagnose a problem with a text document from a "pic of the problem" is almost always a waste of time. If your car won't start, would you expect a mechanic to diagnose the problem from a picture of the car? Upload a document that has the problem.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04