[Solved] Hyperlinks lost when Calc closed

Discuss the spreadsheet application
r0b0

[Solved] Hyperlinks lost when Calc closed

Post by r0b0 »

4.1.13 I use hyperlinks in spreadsheets to take me to frequently used other files on my computer and to websites I may want to revisit. Both used to work well, but now I find that links to files are "forgotten" if I close the spreadsheet and reopen it (I have, of course, checked that the target file has not been moved). Website links seem to persist better. Any suggestions?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.12
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Hyperlinks lost when Calc closed

Post by Zizi64 »

What file type of spreadsheets are you using?

Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
r0b0

Post by r0b0 »

I am using an Apache Open Office 4 spreadsheet. I use a spreadsheet as a kind of subject index. In a list of subjects, I put a link for each item to the relevant file on my PC. My method is to put an arrow (->) next to the topic name in the cell, highlight it and then use the toolbar icon (the little globe with a chain image over it). I fill in the location item (e.g. C: folder-name\filename), and click on apply. I test it to assure myself it works. Next time I open the spreadsheet, it doesn't work. I'm sorry but I don't know how to upload an ODF sample file here as I'm not a frequent user of this forum (I don't have a lot of problems with Open Office spreadsheets usually).
Open Office 4.1.12
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

To upload a sample file look below the box you have been typing in to post here. There you will see a button that says Post Reply – click on that button and a new text box will appear. Look below that text box and you will see a tab labelled Attachments. Click on that tab and you will see options to post a file along with your new comment.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
r0b0

Post by r0b0 »

Sample file attached.
Attachments
Test for Adobe user forum 02.ods
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Open Office 4.1.12
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Works fine for me. I tested with LibreOffice on my Xubuntu machine. Note that the globe button in the dialog is for urls in LO and dialog appears with the link button, which is a chain with a plus sign.

The link has to be followed with Ctrl+click, as hinted by the tip when you hover it.
But your link has a weird structure. It says file:///<path to may download fodler>C:/Users/<path to your file>" (with the quotes). Have you tried the insert link with the option Document instead of Internet?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
r0b0

Post by r0b0 »

Maybe the difference is between Adobe Office and LibreOffice?
Open Office 4.1.12
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Maybe try LibreOffice, at least a portable version to check how it does.
I guess you mean Apache OpenOffice and not "Adobe Office".
r0b0

Post by r0b0 »

Yes sorry, Apache. I think I wrote that in my original posts but misnamed the sample spreadsheet I sent.
But thanks for your help. What I will do is what I always do: try MS Excel. On the whole I find Apache more useful, but there are somethings it won't do and, for those, Excel sometimes will.
Open Office 4.1.12
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

r0b0 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:35 pm I find that links to files are "forgotten" if I close the spreadsheet and reopen it …
I opened attachment Test for Adobe user forum 02.ods, replaced the hyperlink in A3 with one to a file on my desktop, saved, and closed the file. When I reopen the file, the hyperlink still works. I cannot reproduce the problem with OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 13.6.3 when I save in ODS format. Links will definitely be lost if saved in CSV format. I have no idea what happens with the other foreign formats like XLS.

r0b0 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:57 pm My method is to put an arrow (->) next to the topic name in the cell, highlight it and then use the toolbar icon.
You could try using the HYPERLINK function instead of using the toolbar. For me, the function is easier to use. I never make links with the toolbar.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1 for the HYPERLINK() function. This way you won't lose the link if by mistake the formatting is cleared.
r0b0

Post by r0b0 »

I tried using the hyperlink function and, yes, it works. But it's such a faff! And the text box for "cell text" doesn't work unless you remember to put quotes (" ") around it. Perhaps I expect too much.
Open Office 4.1.12
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The quotes are needed so the function can recognise the value as text, rather than e.g. a cell address or range name containing the link text.

You might find it useful to look at the HELP entry for HYPERLINK.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers