ASCII Filter Options message with AOO 4.1.14

Discuss the word processor
KraftiKathi

ASCII Filter Options message with AOO 4.1.14

Post by KraftiKathi »

Just downloaded newest version of Open Office and typed my document. Saved it. When I open it is all gibberish. I get a window that shows ASCII filter options. I tried using different character sets to no avail.Any solution? I had an old old old version on old computer and never had this issue. Tried searching and it appears I am not alone. Other good options????
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open office 4.1.14 windows 11
LastUnicorn

Re: Ascii Filter Options message with AOO 4.1.14

Post by LastUnicorn »

Sounds like your file is corrupted — others will come along that can maybe help with that.

Other options (though not to repair your file) is to switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice as LibreOffice is far less likely to cause problems with corrupting files. There are several good reasons to switch to LibreOffice anyway, some of which are mentioned in this thread: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

In any case it is likely that you will be asked to post the document file here as an attachment. To do that click the button Post Reply and you will see the option to add Attachments there.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Re: Ascii Filter Options message with AOO 4.1.14

Post by RoryOF »

You probably closed computer down before OpenOffice had finished writing the file to disk. There will be nothing useful in the remaining file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS