[Solved] Slideshow not moving editor slide

Discuss the presentation application
CarlL

[Solved] Slideshow not moving editor slide

Post by CarlL »

When I run a slideshow, if I use the space bar or mouse click to advance the slide, when I exit the slideshow, it is still on the slide I started with in the editor and not the one I ended with. If I use the context->Next Slide, it does advance the editor to the current slide. This is a real pain when presenting as I often exit to show a video, but I have to advance the editor to the correct slide number manually to ensure I restart where I left off in my presentation.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
LibreOffice 7.3.7.2 on Ubuntu 22.04
FJCC

Re: Slideshow not moving editor slide

Post by FJCC »

OpenOffice seems to always exit the presentation to the editor in the slide that was last presented. Switching to OpenOffice for your presentations seems like a big step, but there is that option. It's possible some features of your slides won't be supported in AOO.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
CarlL wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:23 am when I exit the slideshow, it is still on the slide I started with in the editor and not the one I ended with
Surely Linux allows multiple, concurrent applications. Instead of exiting the slideshow, leave it open and ask Linux to show the video. When the video ends, ask Linux to switch back to your slideshow.

I don't use Linux and can't help with exact procedures for switching applications in that operating system.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

MrProgrammer, the problem is that I have a slideshow on monitor 2 (fullscreen) with the Presenters View on monitor 1 (full screen) so I cannot see the VLC console to control the video display. To do so, I have to exit the slideshow, play the video, then return to the slideshow. But, before I exit the slideshow, I have to make mental note of what slide I am on so I can manually return to the correct slide.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try running your presentation in a Window, almost full screen; that should allow access to other applications in the operating system toolbar.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

RoryOF: Running it in a window disables the presenters view (with all my presentation notes).
FJCC: I am not sure what you mean by "switching to OO" I wrote the entire presentation (120 slides) in LibreOffice. I really like it. Why would I use anything else :-) ?

For anyone else,
Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 20; OS: Linux 6.5; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-CA (en_CA.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4
Calc: threaded
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Hallo Carl,

Was ist geschehen? (my German friend)

May I ask you to test your presentation as follows:

- prepare 2 or 3 slides with either pictures or text
- save it as a yourpresentation.pps file (it is a microsoft file format)
- double click on the file:

The presentation should start on a full screen. Use your mouse to flip on next slide. A black screen will show up after the last slide asking you to click to exit.

Could you confirm?

Regards

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Nick N: I did that, but it is unclear why. Yes, it does go into full-screen mode and will play to the end. But that is not my problem. My problem is that if, part way though the presentation, I ESC back to the editor, the editor is on the wrong page. The editor does not go to the page the presenter was on, but returns to the last page the editor was on. That makes it hard to return (Shift-F5) back to my presentation at the correct point.
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

My dear Friend Carl L,

I have read your post. It's understood. Sorry but there's nothing I can do about it.

Have a good time.

Kind regards

Nick N

P.S.: It seems to me that the slide show goes its own way (another file) and therefore it is not synchronized with the main form.
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

@Carl L

Did you really get rid of it?

Regards

Nick
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Nick,
I just see that in other forums, people mention that the editor does move forward for them during a slideshow. So I am just wondering if this is a bug (or should I request a feature).
Thanks
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Hello Carl,

Thank you for your concern.

I could be everything but a GURU, but, as I wrote you above, it seems to me that when you save in .pps, the former is no more application dependent. That means that you just have built another application....

On the contrary, if you run the slideshow within IMPRESS and you interrupt the presentation, you just have to go back to the construction forms.

Kind regards

Nick
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Nick,
OK, you got me thinking in the right direction. I don't need to use pps. In Impress, I have been using ESC to exit my presentation - vs - using Right Click->End Show. They are apparently VERY different. ESC seems bound to end the entire presentation whereas End Show does not. That is, ESC (End Presentation) terminates the entire presentation and returns you back to the editor on the last side you were working on. End Show does not terminate the presentation (but more like interrupts it, which is what I want), so it DOES move the editor slide selection to the one you were last using in the slideshow. I don't see any way to bind keys when in a slideshow so I guess I will just have to use this work around.
Thanks for getting me thinking in the right direction!
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Carl,

I did a small test thereupon. I prepared 5 slides and started the presentation manually. In this case, by the time I type ESC thus during the presentation, main page left column shows exactly where I stopped. Do you agree?

Regards

Nick
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Nick,
That is the behaviour that I expected, but not what I get on Ubuntu.
Carl L.
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Hello Carl,

An escamotage might be to test 18.04 (downgrade) as a trial to verify how the stuff runs...

I'll think about it and, should I find some hints, I will let you know.

Nick
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

I have a VM with Ubuntu 23.04. LibreOffice 7.6.4.1 works as I expected. ESC returns to the last viewed slide.
Thanks!
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Congratulations!

Would have told you maybe to keep the standard LO version that came with your operating system...

Have a nice time!

Nick
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Yea, now I just need to upgrade my presentation laptop from Long-Term-Support to a Short-Term-Support version. Glad I only use it for presentations :-)
I was thinking it was a bug and Ubuntu 23.04 fixing it confirms that.
Thanks for all your help.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Slideshow not moving editor slide

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, I did some tests on my Windows machine with the portable version of LO (7.6.4.1) and Esc does not bring me to the last viewed slide but to the last edited one.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Well, at least I am not crazy; you also have seen the problem. It is also weird that 7.6.4.1 on Windows has the problem but the same release on Ubuntu works fine.
Thanks for confirming!
Carl L
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps an upgrade to LibreOffice 24.2 might resolve the problem; otherwise make a bug report to the LO Bugzilla
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers