[Solved] Squares over the recipe measurements

Discuss the word processor
Zoe Jones

[Solved] Squares over the recipe measurements

Post by Zoe Jones »

I have been trying to find a solution for this for years but when I type in my search terms, they are probably not the right words. Too hard to shorten it so here it is in full: Often (not always) when I copy a recipe from somewhere on the internet and paste it into an OpenOffice word processing document, it has a grey square or rectangle between the ingredient amounts and the words. Then when I go to print it out, there are little squares with rounded corners over the amounts. For example, "1/2 cup sugar" will have the fraction "1/2" covered with that little rounded square, making the entire recipe difficult to read. I go back to the document and remove the grey spaces but it still prints out this way. Anyone know how to fix this?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice version 4.1.3
Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: Squares over the recipe measurements

Post by LastUnicorn »

Post an example document attachment up into the forum so that people can have a look at it and tell you what is wrong.

To post an attachment/file to the forum do the following: [Forum] How to attach a document here
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try /Edit /Paste Special, then select "unformatted text" from the popup. You will need to apply your own formatting to the inserted text.

Deselecting /View /Field shadings may remove the grey colouring in existing files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

If you post a link to an example recipe where this happens people can see what you mean.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Zoe Jones

Post by Zoe Jones »

RoryOF wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:19 pm Try /Edit /Paste Special, then select "unformatted text" from the popup. You will need to apply your own formatting to the inserted text.

Deselecting /View /Field shadings may remove the grey colouring in existing files.
I kept this window open on my computer until the problem happened again so I could refer to this. It just happened today. I tried your suggestion about "Paste Special" etc and it worked! I then formatted things the way I wanted them. I had no idea the Paste Special option existed, and if I had seen it I wouldn't have known what it meant. Thank you!
OpenOffice version 4.1.3
Windows 10
Zoe Jones

Post by Zoe Jones »

JeJe wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:28 pm If you post a link to an example recipe where this happens people can see what you mean.
I kept this window open on my computer until such time as the problem happened again. Well, today it happened. So, here is a link for a recipe where it occurred. I copied only the text of the actual recipe, starting at the word "Ingredients".

https://sarahsvegankitchen.com/recipes/ ... ad/#recipe

I saw someone else shared a link in this thread on how I can include a photo. If I can get that figured out, and if there is an option to edit my post in here, I will add pictures of how it turned out. But someone else had given me instructions in here on how to avoid the problem, so I do have a resolution. Still, I want to show in here what I was dealing with, in case someone else has the issue in future and is looking for help.
OpenOffice version 4.1.3
Windows 10