[Solved] Hiding footnotes

Discuss the word processor
tom14

[Solved] Hiding footnotes

Post by tom14 »

Hi,

I want to hide footnotes.

I have the same question as was asked here: viewtopic.php?t=14822

However, the action does not quite work. A few of my footnotes are hidden (~5/35), but the majority do not hide.

Any ideas what might be going on? Using 4.1.14

T
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
open office 4.1.14 o windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Hiding footnotes

Post by floris v »

Moved to the Writer forum.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

If possible (for privacy reasons), upload the file so that we can inspect it. My suspicion is that you somehow changed the styles for most of the footnotes, because the instructions in the linked topic are all about styles.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

If rather than hiding them, if a copy of the document with the footnotes removed was good enough, then running this simple macro on a copy of your document would do that without the hassle of that other thread's method.

Code: Select all

Sub RemoveFootnotes
with thiscomponent.footnotes
for i =  .count -1 to 0 step -1
.getbyindex(i).dispose
next
end with
End Sub
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
tom14

Post by tom14 »

No changed or altered styles. Format, yes; not styles. Just plain weird why only a handful hid.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Have you applied different styles to your Footnotes?

I've added a document with macros called by form buttons in the other thread to do the hiding or showing of footnotes as per their method.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

No changed or altered styles. Format, yes; not styles. Just plain weird why only a handful hid.
Please upload an ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
tom14

Post by tom14 »

cant upload for privacy. Hiding endnotes also does not work.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Can you make an example document based on your actual document that still shows the problem? Maybe you can reduce the number of pages so that you have one footnote that hides and one that doesn't. Then replace all the letters with x using Find & Replace. To do that, enter [:alpha:] in the Search For box, x in the Replace With box and select Regular Expressions in the More Options area. Then click Replace All and you should be done.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the footnotes are only for information of use to the author in course of writing and revision, then one might instead use Comments (/Insert /Comment), which can globally be turned on or off (/View /Comments - not available until there is at least one Comment in a document). This could be applied to a new document, but does not help an existing situation where footnotes are already in use.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tom14

Post by tom14 »

Thanks for all the help everyone! Comments probably won't work for my purpose - I'm looking for a marker within the document that alerts readers to additional information that can be hidden from reader view. Going back to footnotes - I imported the document into Word and was able to hide individual footnotes using the recommended approach. I did not run across any (yet) that would not hide using that approach. But that was Word. The same approach did not work in the original document.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I would position the "footnotes" at End of Document (/Tools /Footnote & Endnotes: Footnotes tab); it may then be possible to hide that page at the file end (not tried).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tom14

Post by tom14 »

Awesome! I can work with that by positioning all footnotes at end of document. And it works. Thank you!