[Solved] Can't change "save to" folder

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
IanStar

[Solved] Can't change "save to" folder

Post by IanStar »

I'm having an annoying issue when saving a new OO Writer document. I searched for "how to change 'save to' folder for OpenOffice Writer" which lead me to a few solutions on this forum. They generally reference going to "tools > options > paths" and clicking in "documents" for example. None of these solutions work for me (they're all several years old anyway).
Any other suggestions?

What's happening:
When I hit "save as" it pops up the save as window with the destination folder shown as ""C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OpenOffice\ 4.1.11\"file name".odt" and overlayed on it is a separate warning window saying:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OpenOffice\ 4.1.11\"file name".odt
You don't have permission to save in this location.
Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?"

Hitting enter saves it to Documents, but the extra steps are really annoying. I am the administrator and this issue has only started recently. No probs in the past.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Windows 10 Pro
RoryOF

Re: Can't change "save to" folder.

Post by RoryOF »

Windows updates often change access rights to folders; you may need to tell Windows to allow access to your target folders. I haven't used Windows in years so may be wrong in what I suggest. I know that using other Operating Systems, once one has Saved a file in a folder (after changing the rights to that folder), OpenOffice remembers that folder as the target for subsequent Saves.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: Can't change "save to" folder

Post by Hagar Delest »

Doesn't AOO propose the folder where the file was saved or the last document folder for a new file?
Is there actually a file in that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OpenOffice\ 4.1.11\ folder?
You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
IanStar

Post by IanStar »

Thanks, Hagar Delest and RoryOF.
I've managed to get OO to save a new document in Documents without the annoying extra steps, though to be honest I'm not quite sure what I did to make this happen.

There was never a file in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OpenOffice\ 4.1.11\ ". Maybe, as RoryOF suggested, it was Windows fking with me 🤷‍♂️

New problem: I used to have a new document with my preferred settings (font, font size etc) pinned to the taskbar. When I try to do this now it only pins OpenOffice and, when I click on it, it opens a new "untitled" document with the default settings decided by OO.
Any ideas how I can pin a specific document to the taskbar?
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Windows 10 Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Not using Windows, I cannot answer for your pinned folder. Once you have Saved a file in a folder, manoeuvring to it using the navigation facilities of the Save As dialog, OpenOffice will remember to Save in that folder until you Save to another folder.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Can't change "save to" folder

Post by Hagar Delest »

It is best to create a new topic if you have a new question. For the sake of future searches by other users.

To pin a document, you have to drag and drop the file to the taskbar, it will add it to the pinned list when you right click the AOO icon of the taskbar. Don't remember exactly if it is a left or right button for the drag and drop. Just try.

Note that if you need a document to be the template of all your documents, better make a default template: [Tutorial] Creating a new default template.
IanStar

Post by IanStar »

Thanks, Hagar Delest.
I did try dragging the doc to the AOO icon but it doesn't show a list when I right or left click on the icon after that.
Thanks for the heads up on making a template though.
I'll have another look at things later and start a new topic if necessary. I'm starting to think it's a Windows problem rather than AOO... it usually is 🙄
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Windows 10 Pro
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I just tried on my Windows 10 machine and both right and left button for drag and drop works with LibreOffice.