[Dropped] Spell Check Defunct Again

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jmrathbun

[Dropped] Spell Check Defunct Again

Post by jmrathbun »

I don't use OO writer every month, and when I do, it seems my spell checker is kaput. I've been through restoring the dictionary more than once, but don't do it often enough to remember the drill. Why is this even necessary? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

:crazy:
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested; No response to quesions -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OO 4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Mountaineer

Re: Spell Check Defunct Again

Post by Mountaineer »

jmrathbun wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 am .... I've been through restoring the dictionary more than once, but don't do it often enough to remember the drill.
Then note down what you do, put this in a file at a place where you can find it and read your notes next time.
Why is this even necessary?
It is not.
I can only guess your spell check is not configured to your needs and you always do the setup for the file you are working on. If you only tell "this file needs french spell-check" as an example this doesn't change anything for your next document....

Basic settings are usually derived from your locale, but if you use a template to generate a file (like in windows fike>New) the settings of the template are preserved.

You should also note Writer can use different spell-check-settings for every paragraph, so also your styles can "set" languages and correct or interfere ither settings.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?
I assume so. Very few of us manage to do nothing wrong. I'd suggest you start here:
:crazy:
as the only result is a headache.

If you actually seek help and not only "venting" upload a newly created document with some paragraphs, tell wich language you want to use and how you created the document and maybe sombody take a look and can help you.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

OO 4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Which version exactly?
Windows 7 needs administrator privilege to install software correctly.
Did you have do it??
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Go to the Writer forum and read the first post [Tutorial] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined). It's all about solving spellchecker problems.
Last edited by John_Ha on Fri May 27, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When you, rarely according to your post, open Writer, are you prompted to enter your name and initials? If so, something on your computer, perhaps an automatic housekeeping routine or a routine application of such by you, may be erasing your OpenOffice User Profile, assessing that it has not been used in a long time. You might need to tell such a routine not to delete your OpenOffice User Profile.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pukimoremore

Re: [Dropped] Spell Check Defunct Again

Post by pukimoremore »

Yes I have been through several attempts some successful but never know why or which; some very time consuming.

Have a permanent solution:
Switch to LibreOffice.
No spelling checker. V4155 Have gone to LibreOffice win 10 pro Dell 6530