[Solved] OpenOffice no longer launches on MacOS Ventura 13.0

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
stevegoldfield

[Solved] OpenOffice no longer launches on MacOS Ventura 13.0

Post by stevegoldfield »

Since I updated to MacOS Ventura about a week ago, Open Office has been freezing. I have been able to force quit and restart. I tried to check for Updates, but that failed. So, I went online and downloaded and installed the latest version. That won't run at all. I think there is a trick to launch with a key pressed, and I'll try that. I don't find Open Office in the Apple Store. Is there a version compatible with this current version of MacOS? If so, where can I find it.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]; use Control key → Open when launching the first time -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.4 on MacOS 10.13
stevegoldfield

Re: OpenOffice no longer launches on MacOS Ventura 13.0

Post by stevegoldfield »

That trick (holding down the ctrl key while launching) does work, but I would like to try to get a compatible version, if possible.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try LibreOffice instead. It is based on the same code (OpenOffice.org) but much more actively developed. It may do better with new mac releases.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have been sent this solution from a Mac user on another list:
The new System Settings in MacOS 13 (Ventura) doesn’t have a General tab under Privacy and Security, and no “Open Anyway.”

Finder Help gave this:

1. In the Finder on your Mac, locate the app you want to open.

1. Don’t use Launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn’t allow you to access the shortcut menu.

2. Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.

3. Click Open.

The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it just as you can any registered app."

I tried that, and everything worked as described. Solved!
I am not a Mac User, so cannot test this. I hope it is of use to you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
stevegoldfield

Post by stevegoldfield »

If you look at my second post, you will see that I was already aware of that workaround. I'll check out LibreOffice. I have been using Star Office (the ancestor of Open Office since Sun purchased it; I was a Sun IT employee at that time) and Open Office for about 20 years. If my memory serves me, after Oracle purchased Sun, they abandoned Open Office, just one of the many parts of Sun that they abandoned.
stevegoldfield

Post by stevegoldfield »

I see Libre Office in the Apple store, but it isn't free. There is a charge to download it.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

The Apple-store is not free. So the companies who provide this for you have to charge you, as they are charged by the store (same for MS).
Use the official site instead:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/do ... .2&lang=de

You may have to adapt for the arm-version, depending on your hardware.

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
cathywelsh

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice no longer launches on MacOS Ventura 13.0

Post by cathywelsh »

from Finder, locate the openoffice.app under applications or wherever you installed it, then the Control + Click on the Open office.app then clicking on Open in the Shortcut menu, and then clicking on Allow it to open, worked, and now it works correctly, Thank you to the person who posted this. I am on the Ventura 13.6.3 fully patched and Open office works correctly now.
MAC 10.15.7
Open office 4.1.7
cathywelsh

Post by cathywelsh »

RoryOF wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:48 am I have been sent this solution from a Mac user on another list:
The new System Settings in MacOS 13 (Ventura) doesn’t have a General tab under Privacy and Security, and no “Open Anyway.”

Finder Help gave this:

1. In the Finder on your Mac, locate the app you want to open.

1. Don’t use Launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn’t allow you to access the shortcut menu.

2. Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.

3. Click Open.

The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it just as you can any registered app."

I tried that, and everything worked as described. Solved!
I am not a Mac User, so cannot test this. I hope it is of use to you.
Thank you, this worked perfectly on Ventura 13.6.3 - fully patched. :D
MAC 10.15.7
Open office 4.1.7