Make bulleted items appear on click

Discuss the presentation application
theeskimo

Make bulleted items appear on click

Post by theeskimo »

I'm sure a similar question has been asked a million times, but I couldn't find any of them when I browsed to forum. If it has already been addressed, feel free to just point me in the right direction.

I have a bulleted list on an Impress slide. I want each bulleted item to appear on separate mouse clicks. I know this is possible in PowerPoint, but I just can't figure out how to make it happen in Impress.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
acknak

Re: How To Make Bulleted Items Appear on Click?

Post by acknak »

Have you tried the steps given in this thread? http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =10&t=3160
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
theeskimo

Post by theeskimo »

For some reason, I can't even find where you add the animation for text. When I have a text box selected, I can't find the "Add" option, and under "Tasks" in "Custom Animation," it won't let me do anything at all. Also, if I go to Slide Show and click "Custom Animation," nothing happens.

I feel like I'm completely missing something. (I promise I'm not this stupid in other aspects of life)
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
acknak

Post by acknak »

No problem, those instructions are not very detailed.

So here's the whole process (I suggest you just go through it from scratch once before you try it with your presentation)

1) File > New > Presentation
2) Tasks > Layouts > "Title, Content"
3) Enter some bullet text items in the slide layout area
4) Tasks > Custom Animation > Add > Entrance > "Fly In"; OK (all the items move together here)
5) Tasks > Custom Animation > Effect Options (this button is labeled only as "...")
6) ... Text Animation > Group text: By 1st level paragraphs

I see that the "Animate attached shape" option is already disabled--that must be a change in more recent OOo releases. If the option is enabled in your version, make sure it's OFF (unchecked).

For basic operations with Impress, see the Impress Guide: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... ser_Guides
acknak

Post by acknak »

PS:
Playing around with this a bit I think maybe I see what you mean: once you have an animation configured, you can easily get into a state where the slide content is selected, but the animation options are all disabled and the Add button is not shown.

It seems that you have to play around, expanding and selecting items in the content list under the "Custom Animation" panel to get the animation functions to enable.

In my experience, animations in Impress are mostly a waste of time; I avoid them if at all possible. They're very awkward to work with, frequently get corrupted, and many of the effects look amateurish on the screen. If something starts behaving strangely like this, I just delete the whole animation sequence and re-create it.
janinecarr

Post by janinecarr »

This worked for me. Add a Text box to your layout first. Then create a bulleted list inside the text box. Select the Text box. Add Animation/Appear. The list items will appear individually on-click.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 Windows 10
nehavilash

Re: Make bulleted items appear on click

Post by nehavilash »

To make bulleted items appear on separate clicks in impress, apply individual entrance animations and set On Click triggers for each item.
Thank you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14
A004114m1 (Build:9811) - Rev. a0d24fb625
2023-02-08 09:30:40 (Wed, 08 Feb 2023) - Darwin x86_64
Nick N,

Re: Make bulleted items appear on click

Post by Nick N, »

Hello,

To make your phrases appear line by line:

- select Format>Dotted List
- drop your lines
- highlight the slide (when your hower-on becomes a hand, click!)
- click on the + sign under animation box on top right of the screen
- right click on the highlighted paragraph IN animation box and select Option
- set show-up 1 paragraph at a time

Then launch the presentation. You've got it now?

Regards

Nick
Attachments
test.gif
test.gif (37.94 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04