Unable to open recently used file

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Lhun

Unable to open recently used file

Post by Lhun »

Hi! I've been having a problem with OpenOffice (Apache version 4.1.8, on my macOS Ventura 13.6.1) where one of my files (there could be more but I have not found them yet) has completely disappeared, but when I right click on openoffice on my dock (screenshot included) I can still see it, but clicking it does nothing. I know I didn't delete it by accident, I downloaded and used a recovery tool to check that, and time machine did not help either. I checked backups (which was enabled, set for 15 minutes) but there was nothing there.
If you've seen my screenshot you have probably also noticed that there is a duplicate file with the same name, this is one from around 6 months ago when I accidentally duplicated the file (it had (1) at the end, to indicate duplication, it has since lost it and I don't know how) but I ignored it since. I tried renaming it incase it couldn't open due to name duplication (hence the may 9th version) but it just created a new tag rather than change the original.
Another thing to note is that I did try and open it from "recent documents" from the file tab when you right click openoffice in dock, but it gave me the error message seen in the attached file.
I have combed through all the .odt's on my mac (which it had been saved as) and only the old version appeared. I don't know what happened, but I have lost 6 months of information which is pretty painful, so any help at all is greatly appreciated!

Edit: Changed subject, was File disappeared, can see it? 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.49.16 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.49.16 AM.png (33.21 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.43.15 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.43.15 AM.png (40.66 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
Apache OpenOffice - 4.1.8
macOS Ventura 13.6.1
robleyd

Re: File disappeared, can see it?

Post by robleyd »

Have you tried using Finder to see if the files are available?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Lhun

Post by Lhun »

robleyd wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:44 pm Have you tried using Finder to see if the files are available?
I checked, but the only one that showed up was the old version, I went through all my .odt files (which, as I mentioned, it had been saved as) but it wasn't there.
macOS Ventura 13.6.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What is the time stamp of the old version you found?
There are very few discussions in this forum about a file reverting to a significantly older version like that (I experienced that once years ago with OOo).
If the time stamp is recent, then it would mean that the content was replaced by an old version. If the time stamp matches how old was that file, then the mystery about the disappearance remains.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Lhun

Post by Lhun »

Hagar Delest wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:07 pm What is the time stamp of the old version you found?
There are very few discussions in this forum about a file reverting to a significantly older version like that (I experienced that once years ago with OOo).
If the time stamp is recent, then it would mean that the content was replaced by an old version. If the time stamp matches how old was that file, then the mystery about the disappearance remains.
I'm not entirely sure what your referring to by timestamp but this is the old docs info
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 2.36.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 2.36.39 PM.png (94.07 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
macOS Ventura 13.6.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

This file is actually the old one indeed (last modification in May, 2023).
Then I have no clue of what could have happened to the latest one. Could have it been renamed or moved, maybe by someone else?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There have been reports of files disappearing if the operating system updates while OpenOffice is open; such reports are mostly (exclusively?) on Windows. A system crash might cause such a loss also.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lhun

Post by Lhun »

Hagar Delest wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:01 pm This file is actually the old one indeed (last modification in May, 2023).
Then I have no clue of what could have happened to the latest one. Could have it been renamed or moved, maybe by someone else?
I'm almost certain no one else did anything, and I definitely never renamed it or moved it somewhere else. thank you anyways though!
macOS Ventura 13.6.1
Lhun

Post by Lhun »

RoryOF wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:12 pm There have been reports of files disappearing if the operating system updates while OpenOffice is open; such reports are mostly (exclusively?) on Windows. A system crash might cause such a loss also.
Hmmm, I don't think there were any updates my mac had while openoffice was open, and my system does crash quite a bit but I use OpenOffice a lot usually leave it open somewhere, but this has never happened to me before. Honestly I'm just so confused why it appears when right clicking openoffice in docks but cant open, is there anyway I could seek further support or anything? The file was pretty important. Thanks for your help!
macOS Ventura 13.6.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You could use Photorec or any other undelete application to try to recover some leftover from the file but that makes some days now since it disappeared so I'm not very optimistic.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 pm … when I right click on openoffice on my dock (screenshot included) I can still see it, but clicking it does nothing.
MacOS keeps a list of files that you have opened recently with OpenOffice. If the file has been deleted, it stays in that list, but OpenOffice can't open deleted files.

Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 pm Another thing to note is that I did try and open it from "recent documents" from the file tab when you right click openoffice in dock, but it gave me the error message seen in the attached file.
OpenOffice also keeps a list of files that you have opened recently with OpenOffice. If the file has been deleted, it stays in that list, but OpenOffice can't open deleted files.

Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 pm I have combed through all the .odt's on my mac (which it had been saved as) and only the old version appeared.
The file either exists or it doesn't. If it exists, you can see it in Finder as long as you know the folder it's in. If it exists but you don't know the folder, MacOS provides search tools to help you locate it: Finder → Help → MacOS Help → Search → Find file → If you can't find a file on your Mac. Once you know what folder it's in, you can open it with OpenOffice → File → Open.

If it doesn't exist, that it a problem for you, but it isn't an OpenOffice problem. OpenOffice only creates, displays, or edits files. It doesn't delete them. Certainly look in the Trash; you can recover files in the Trash: File → Put Back. If you use iCloud look there too. You can do some searches to see if you can find any topics which match this situation. Perhaps some non-Apple backup/archiving or anti-virus software is responsible for deleting or moving your file.

It seems strange that Time Machine wouldn't have a copy of your file. Use an Apple forum to ask about Time Machine.

Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:47 pm … my system does crash quite a bit …
That is not normal. Perhaps you have a hardware problem.

Hagar Delest wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:21 pm You could use Photorec or any other undelete application to try to recover some leftover from the file …
If you have a Solid State Disk (SSD) the portion containing your file was set to zeros when it was deleted, so no undelete application can recover it.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Lhun

Post by Lhun »

MrProgrammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:57 pm Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks!
Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 pm … when I right click on openoffice on my dock (screenshot included) I can still see it, but clicking it does nothing.
MacOS keeps a list of files that you have opened recently with OpenOffice. If the file has been deleted, it stays in that list, but OpenOffice can't open deleted files.

Ah, I see.
Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 pm Another thing to note is that I did try and open it from "recent documents" from the file tab when you right click openoffice in dock, but it gave me the error message seen in the attached file.
OpenOffice also keeps a list of files that you have opened recently with OpenOffice. If the file has been deleted, it stays in that list, but OpenOffice can't open deleted files.

:super:
Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 pm I have combed through all the .odt's on my mac (which it had been saved as) and only the old version appeared.
The file either exists or it doesn't. If it exists, you can see it in Finder as long as you know the folder it's in. If it exists but you don't know the folder, MacOS provides search tools to help you locate it: Finder → Help → MacOS Help → Search → Find file → If you can't find a file on your Mac. Once you know what folder it's in, you can open it with OpenOffice → File → Open.

If it doesn't exist, that it a problem for you, but it isn't an OpenOffice problem. OpenOffice only creates, displays, or edits files. It doesn't delete them. Certainly look in the Trash; you can recover files in the Trash: File → Put Back. If you use iCloud look there too. You can do some searches to see if you can find any topics which match this situation. Perhaps some non-Apple backup/archiving or anti-virus software is responsible for deleting or moving your file.

It seems strange that Time Machine wouldn't have a copy of your file. Use an Apple forum to ask about Time Machine.

Alright, so I went through the Mac help and the file simply does not exist. I was able to eventually find the new file (the attached file), but im guessing that it is similar to the recently opened files, as I wasn't able to open it either.
I don't use icloud, and I did do some more forum browsing and I found someone with a similar problem, the post being titled "document reverted back to nearly a month ago", but I didn't really understand enough for it to be helpful (I don't think it would have been helpful anyways). As for non apple backup/archiver/antivirus I didn't run or download any such tools since the last I opened the file. I have a few times but I always ended up deleting them.

Lhun wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:47 pm … my system does crash quite a bit …
That is not normal. Perhaps you have a hardware problem.

It is a hardware problem, my main guess is something related to improper heating as my computer tends to get really hot at times. I'm saving up for a better laptop so I don't intend to try and get it fixed.
Hagar Delest wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:21 pm You could use Photorec or any other undelete application to try to recover some leftover from the file …
If you have a Solid State Disk (SSD) the portion containing your file was set to zeros when it was deleted, so no undelete application can recover it.
I do have an SSD, so I guess that would explain why recoverit didn't work.

From the sound of it there isn't really much I can do about it, but thank you for this detailed answer, I appreciate it :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.06.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 10.06.09 PM.png (45.99 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
macOS Ventura 13.6.1