[Solved] [Issue] OpenOffice for MacOS 12

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Khasar

[Solved] [Issue] OpenOffice for MacOS 12

Post by Khasar »

Application: OpenOffice Calc
System: macOS Monterey, version 12.6.2
Version: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14
Problem: I recently started experiencing a number of issues with OpenOffice Calc. I gather that the version I'm using is for >= OS 10.7, but I also gather that we're still talking OS X and not OS 12. Is there any timeframe as to when a version of OpenOffice will be released for macOS 12.x.x?

Edit: Changed subject, was Screen refresh problem after entering data 
Your question doesn't ask about screen refresh, only about MacOS 12
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add [Issue] tag to subject
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Screen refresh problem after entering data

Post by MrProgrammer »

Khasar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:09 pm Is there any timeframe as to when a version of OpenOffice will be released for macOS 12.x.x?
This is not a developers' forum, so no one here can answer that. I run OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 13.6.
User experience: OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 13.5
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ, Q15: Does OpenOffice run on MacOS 10.12 and later?

Khasar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:09 pm I gather that the version I'm using is for >= OS 10.7, but I also gather that we're still talking OS X and not OS 12.
OS 12 ≥ OS 10.7

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Khasar

Re: OpenOffice for MacOS 12

Post by Khasar »

Thank you for the response. What I see on the download page is the following:

OS X (version >= 10.7)

which, to a literal person like myself, includes 10.8 thru 10.15 but not 11 thru 14. If I'm to believe Wikipedia (which I take with at least one grain of salt), the last version to include the OS X designation was 10.11, after which they just call it macOS. So it remains unclear to me from the download page that we are talking macOS as you suggest and not just OS X.

I replaced 4.1.14 with 4.1.13 and had the same problem. On a hunch, I just now went into OpenOffice - Preferences - OpenOffice - View, and checked the box for Transparency (I'd unchecked it because I can't get the Mac to highlight the cells in a manner which allows me to see what I selected), and the problems I'd been seeing with data entry and screen refresh went away. Solve one problem and left with another but at least it's more usable now.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice for MacOS 12

Post by MrProgrammer »

Khasar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:50 pm I … checked the box for Transparency … and the problems I'd been seeing with data entry and screen refresh went away.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q46/A46: How can I correct display problems when zooming or scrolling?
Issue 125096 Corrupt display of documents while scrolling
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] [Issue] OpenOffice for MacOS 12

Post by Hagar Delest »

Seems that the last comment is from 2016. You may be happier with LibreOffice. See [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10