Ubuntu 22.04 install can't access "regular" file system

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
ge9375

Ubuntu 22.04 install can't access "regular" file system

Post by ge9375 »

Hello,

I followed the instructions to completely uninstall Libreoffice, install the JRE, and the dpkg commands to get Openoffice up and running. It launches, but it is in some bizarre "sandbox" file system. The "home" directory isn't my real home directory. It's like it has created a virtual area quarantined from the rest of my file system. I can't browse to my regular home directory to open files. I can create new files and save them in this quarantine environment, but I can't open anything outside of this playpen. Anyone know what is going on? I had OpenOffice working fine in 18.04, but admittedly it was a chore to get running, but it was working. I'd like to use OpenOffice again, but I need it to have access to all of the file system.

Thanks,
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on Ubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 install can't access "regular" file system

Post by Bill »

I have AOO 4.1.14 installed on Ubuntu Mate 22.04 and don't have this problem. You probably have something configured on your system that is causing the problem, but without an error message, I don't know where to look. If there are error messages, please post them.

Your signature says you're using Windows XP. Did you install Ubuntu in a virtual machine on Windows XP?

Which "Openoffice" did you install? Is it an official version of Apache OpenOffice or something else? What is the version number?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Do not install container packages of LibreOffice (Flathub). Install the Debian packages downloaded from libreoffice.org or install the Debian packages from Ubuntu. The latter is a slightly older version with security updates until the distribution's end of life.

P.S. Of course, there are tools to configure Ubuntu's contaner apps, but generally speaking, there are too many issues with a package as large as LibreOffice. Too many features don't work out of the box.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ge9375

Post by ge9375 »

I installed the official version of Openoffice, whatever the latest is from the Apache project web site. I tried a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 and I have the same problem. Whatever is configured, it's the default for the 20.04 install and I haven't changed anything from its initial state other than uninstalling Libreoffice andn installing Openoffice. There's no error message, but like Villeroy says, it's like it's running in a container. I don't know why it's doing that or if there is some other way to run it.

I removed my signature with the reference to XP. It's no longer relevant.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on Ubuntu 20.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have just installed a fresh version of OpenOffice on an Xubuntu 22.04.3 machine. I used the methods set out in this posting

viewtopic.php?p=498288#p498288

and can access all folders and files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ge9375 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:32 pm There's no error message, but like Villeroy says, it's like it's running in a container. I don't know why it's doing that or if there is some other way to run it.
Villeroy's comment was about The Flatpak version of LibreOffice. AFAIK, Apache OpenOffice does not have a Flatpak version. Even if it did, it would not be installed using dpkg.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
nehavilash

Post by nehavilash »

Use official Debian packages from trusted sources like libreoffice.org or Ubuntu repositories instead of containerized installations such as Flathub. This change should restore full file system access for OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14
A004114m1 (Build:9811) - Rev. a0d24fb625
2023-02-08 09:30:40 (Wed, 08 Feb 2023) - Darwin x86_64