[Solved] Folder selected does not contain a Java Runtime Environment

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
BennyMetal65

[Solved] Folder selected does not contain a Java Runtime Environment

Post by BennyMetal65 »

I have reached the end of the line and need some help here -

Fresh install of OO on a new PC (multiple times)- Installed the JRE 32 bit version (multiple times) - When I go to JAVA options there is nothing populated so when I select the folder containing the JRE and I am presented with the error message in the subject line above.

I compared this to my other PC where OO is working and everything looks the same. If I run java -version it appears to be registered. I have looked through the boards and do not see this exact scenario.

I have been screwing around with this on and off all day with no success. What am I doing wrong? :crazy:
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office on 4.1 / Windows 11 / JRE 1.8.0_391
BennyMetal65

Re: Folder Selected does not contain a Java Runtime Environment?

Post by BennyMetal65 »

Ok - So I installed the entire JDK and that did the trick.
Open Office on 4.1 / Windows 11 / JRE 1.8.0_391
LastUnicorn

Re: [Solved] Folder selected does not contain a Java Runtime Environment

Post by LastUnicorn »

As you're on Windows 11 you might want to consider switching from OpenOffice to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons for doing this, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

Nowadays a lot of people have gravitated away from installing Oracle Java due to licencing issues (which I don't understand myself) to installing Eclipse Temurin JRE. I use Eclipse JRE myself and it works just fine with LibreOffice and OpenOffice. That said for the 32-bit branch of Eclipse the last version number offered that has a 32-bit JRE is version 19.x. I'm not certain but I think Eclipse might be phasing out development of the 32-bit branch.

So my current setup for OpenOffice is Eclipse Temurin 32-bit JRE v19.x. And for LibreOffice 64-bit I use Eclipse Temurin 64-bit JRE v21.x.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]