[Solved] Files not in Recent Documents after Windows update

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
melanieD

[Solved] Files not in Recent Documents after Windows update

Post by melanieD »

I am having similar trouble. I have used OpenOffice for many years. Today everything is gone! My computer updated Friday and had to do the restart. Can I recover my files? Thanks!
 Edit: Changed subject, was File disappeared after update 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4, Windows 10
FJCC

Re: File disappeared after update

Post by FJCC »

When you say your files are gone, do you mean that they are no longer in the folder where they were stored or that they are gone from the Recent Documents list? Please explain how you have looked for them.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
melanieD

Post by melanieD »

I clicked on text document. Open folder. All missing except what I had done Nov 29.
Computer restarted Friday. Have not turned it on since.
Never had any problems before. Love OpenOffice until now.
Thanks.
OpenOffice 4, Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Since you are on Windows 10, try this. Open your Documents folder. At the upper right there is a search box. It is marked with an icon of a magnifying glass. Type the file extension of the kind of documents you are looking for and press Enter. If you made them in Writer, the file extension is probably .odt. This will bring up a list of all the .odt files in the Documents folder. Do you see your missing documents among them?
You can see the box with odt written in it in the attached picture.
SearchBox.JPG
SearchBox.JPG (27.98 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
melanieD

Post by melanieD »

Thanks so much. Will try that tomorrow. Will just always wonder what happened. Will post my results...Hopefully successful!
OpenOffice 4, Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

melanieD wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:44 am I clicked on text document. Open folder. All missing except what I had done Nov 29.
I don't understand.
Either you are in the folder (with your file browser) and you do see the document and when you click it it should open, or you open AOO first and then you navigate to the folder where your files are.

If you use the AOO recent documents list, what happens?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
melanieD

Post by melanieD »

Thankfully FJCC had the solution so I could find all the missing files/documents. I did the search for .odt and also .pdf. They showed up and I was able to retrieve what I desperately needed for today! I appreciate your help so very much!

Is there some way to get them back in my OpenOffice so they are easily found? I had always used the "recent," etc. folders to find everything. "Recent" just was empty except what I did yesterday experimenting.
OpenOffice 4, Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] File disappeared after update

Post by Hagar Delest »

First check where those files are located.
Make sure that they are in a correct folder, like 'My documents'. Then open them from the Explorer and they will populate the AOO recent documents list.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
melanieD

Re: [Solved] Files not in Recent Documents after Windows update

Post by melanieD »

Thank you! Y'all have been so helpful. Will try that soon.
OpenOffice 4, Windows 10