[Solved] Additional, permanent "Latest documents"

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
Issu

[Solved] Additional, permanent "Latest documents"

Post by Issu »

[SOLVED]
MrProgrammer's macro works perfectly!

I have mentioned before, some years ago, in someone else's thread.
Now I really want this function, so I start a new thread.

The option that, I suppose, is called "Latest documents", in English (right below New and Open); could there be a second one: Favourite documents?
I have some CALC-files that I open frequently, but sometimes they "disappear" from Latest documents, due to opening others.
I can picture a setting: "Standard Latest documents" vs "Advanced Latest documents" where you could have somewhere to choose what documents to "pin point" to "Favourites", and also an option to mark some documents as "(remove from and) never keep in Latest documents".

Luxury, but I dare to dream, I care to write.

Thanks for investing time in something that I can take for granted; grateful I am - thanks!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 11
robleyd

Re: Additional, permanent "Latest documents"

Post by robleyd »

Reporting bugs or suggestions

Most operating systems these days allow you to pin or make shortcuts to your documents.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Issu

Post by Issu »

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean, as putting shortcuts on the desktop?
If that is what you mean, that would work great, if OpenOffice Calc would be one of very few programs that I used. If I want such shortcuts/pins for other program's files, then my desktop would be very cluttered and I would have to create folders for different shortcuts. Opening such shortcuts, with frequently used files, would then also remove one of the "latest documents", that could be something that I work a lot with, during a two weeks period = I would like to have both, and preferably... that "Favourite documents" would always sort alphabetically, so that I would save milliseconds opening them; knowing exactly where they are.

I am very open for external solutions, but "folders with shortcuts" (for example: Calc-favourites, Calc-projects) wouldn't work for me (and that is just the practical perspective (not considering time-perspective), and... in the end; wouldn't that be exactly the same as having OpenOffice Calc to always start in (for example) C: Important files/OpenOffice/Calc/ having sub-folders there?

I understand that it is a luxury and that it would take time to add to the program (and I don't know anything about programming), but the function is kind of already there (keep the last opened documents in a list)... "just" doubling it, and add the option to keep/pin.

Thanks. :-)
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Issu wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:25 am he option that, I suppose, is called "Latest documents", in English (right below New and Open); could there be a second one: Favourite documents?
The "Favorites" extension

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Issu

Post by Issu »

Thanks a lot!
It took some "back and forth, with my AD(H)D-brain (a video tutorial would have speeded it up for me), but I managed to find my way and it is exactly what I want. The possibility for subfolders, may come in handy too.
Thanks for sharing and caring!