[Solved] Can OpenOffice load .XLSM files from Excel

Discuss the spreadsheet application
kafka

[Solved] Can OpenOffice load .XLSM files from Excel

Post by kafka »

My old computer died recently and I have ordered a new one. I have a number of Excel files which I would like to use in OpenOffice (rather than buying Office) but I would like to be able to open my Excel files, including macro enabled files in OpenOffice, without having to recreate those files. I run macros in these files by pressing macro buttons with I have created.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
openOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
FJCC

Re: Can OpenOffice load .XLSM files from Excel

Post by FJCC »

OpenOffice may open the files but it won't run Excel macros. You could try LibreOffice, which has somewhat better macro compatibility with Excel, but I'm doubtful the macros will work with no changes. The APIs for Excel and the other programs are very different and code translation is difficult.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
kafka

Post by kafka »

Thank you. I may have to redo the macros.
openOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I may have to redo the macros.
The custom calculations in the custom Cell functions created for the Excel will work (mostly) in the Calc. (Some of them request some modifications.)
But you must rewrite the macros that control the cell formats/styles, and other properties of the Sheets and the Spreadsheet (and other type of) documents.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
karolus
Volunteer

Post by karolus »

As
@mikekaganski in your crosspost on ask.libreoffice has already told, LibreOffice has a slightly better compatibility especially with VBA.
And yes, Crossposting is ok, but crossposting with no link to each other is considert as rude
AOO4, Libreoffice 6.1 on Rasbian OS (on ARM)
Libreoffice 7.4 on Debian 12 (Bookworm) (on RaspberryPI4)
Libreoffice 7.6 flatpak on Debian 12 (Bookworm) (on RaspberryPI4)