[Solved] Spreadsheets not accessible on MacOS 14.1 (Sonoma)

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Corvid

[Solved] Spreadsheets not accessible on MacOS 14.1 (Sonoma)

Post by Corvid »

Just updated MacOS to Montana 14.1 Today accessing spreadsheets has proved impossible

"Document file 'xxxx' is locked for editing by : Unknown User"

This is the case for all spreadsheets with the addition of a further complication for one which does not even give me a chance to open a copy or open as 'read only' This one merely displays as a box with the title "Filter Selection" and then the file name

This file is shown as having zero bytes when I attempt to open it

Is this a clash with Montana or have I done something wrong?

Corvid

Edit: Changed subject, was Spreadsheet not accessible 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on MacOS Sonoma 14.1
MrProgrammer

Re: Spreadsheet not accessible

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Corvid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:53 pm Just updated MacOS to Montana 14.1
Apple calls MacOS 12 Monterey. Apple calls MacOS 14 Sonoma. Apple does not have a version called Montana.

Corvid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:53 pm Today accessing spreadsheets has proved impossible
I do not use MacOS 14 myself and don't recall seeing others with that problem in the Mac OSX forum, but you should look there. I moved your topic to that forum. Also review [Tutorial] Mac FAQ. MacOS 14.1 was released less than a week ago. There is always some risk in installing versions which may not have been tested with OpenOffice. I prefer to let others blaze the trail.

Corvid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:53 pm This file is shown as having zero bytes when I attempt to open it
If Finder reports that the file has zero bytes, I doubt if you will be able to use it with OpenOffice. Perhaps this is a result of having iCloud manage the file. Maybe that works fine, maybe it doesn't. Or maybe it works if your Mac is connected to your AppleID and fails when it's not connected. I don't use iCloud for my OpenOffice documents.
Search for iCloud in Mac OSX forum
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Re: Spreadsheet not accessible

Post by RoryOF »

In other operating systems, "document in use ./.. unknown user" is often caused by a hidden lock file in the root of the OpenOffice UserProfile. If there is such a lock file and it is erased the problem may go away.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Corvid

Re: Spreadsheets not accessible on MacOS 14.1 (Sonoma)

Post by Corvid »

I found the ~lock.filename.ods for all the files and dumped them. Still no joy accessing the files unless in read only or copy format.
Thanks for the advice Mr Programmer and RoryOF

Will keep on trying and come back with progress (or lack of) report

Corvid
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In addition to the lock files for individual files in their specific folders, there may be a lock file in the root of the OpenOffice User Profile.

In the case of my computer, running on Xubuntu 22.04.3, this lock file lives beside the "user" folder in the OpenOffice User Profile. My memory is that in a Windows system that lock file also lives beside the "user" folder in the OO User Profile, so I would expect it to be in a similar location on the OO User Profile on a Mac.
Corvid

Post by Corvid »

Two of the three spreadsheets are now accessible but the important one just brings up a "Filter Selection" box with a lot of choices.
In the Finder this file shows zero bytes and trying to find a ~Lock file by accessing the Document Folder does NOT show any locks
This was the file that I accessed on the morning this problem occurred and I input data. I would be grateful for any advice although it looks as though I may have lost the file contents

Corvid
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Spreadsheets not accessible on MacOS 14.1 (Sonoma)

Post by Hagar Delest »

I have tagged the topic as solved since the files are accessible again.
For the last one, I fear it is dead. A zero bytes size is the end of it. Give a last try with the /backup folder of the user profile: [Tutorial] The OpenOffice user profile.

Note that LibreOffice has greatly improved the save process.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with Hagar; certainly the file is dead.
Corvid

Post by Corvid »

Thank you all for your help and advice. It is appreciated

Corvid