[Solved] Cannot select database when printing envelopes

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
WesternWanderer

[Solved] Cannot select database when printing envelopes

Post by WesternWanderer »

I am printing envelopes and have used OO for some years to do this. Always I have problems with selecting the database but it usually resolves with a few tries through 'exchange database'. This time it refuses to define any of the DB on the list or even going through browse to re select the same db showing on the 'db in use' in the selection box. I have tried quit OO and have even done another download of OO. I have even fiddled with the envelope layout and saved it in case it was that problem. Any ideas?

SOLVED
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] by WesternWanderer -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open office 4.1.3 Mac OS 10.13.6
MrProgrammer

Re: Cannot select data base when printing envelopes on Max OS 10

Post by MrProgrammer »

WesternWanderer wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:16 am Always I have problems with selecting the database but it usually resolves with a few tries through 'exchange database'.
It should not be considered normal to have to make multiple attempts to exchange the database. I do very little with Base, but experience on the forum suggests that the Base component of LibreOffice is less likely to cause trouble for you. I do not use LibreOffice myself. You can run both OpenOffice and LibreOffice on your computer so you could use LibreOffice for mail merge and OpenOffice for everything else. To learn about the difference between these two products, see the Beginners forum.

WesternWanderer wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:16 am I have tried quit OO and have even done another download of OO.
Reinstalling OpenOffice doesn't hurt but is almost always a waste of time. Mysterious problems are more likely to be the result of a damaged user profile. A reinstall does not touch the user profile.
Mac FAQ Q02/A02: How do I create a new profile on a Mac?

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110521 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:16 am This time it refuses to define any of the DB on the list
Writer can only connect to a database which is listed in option OpenOffice Base → Databases. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms. If the database isn't listed there use the New button to add it. If the database is listed there try to open the database with File → Open. If the database won't open, you will need to resolve that problem before you can hope to use it for Mail Merge. Open a topic in the Base forum if your database won't open. If the database opens, make sure the table or query which Writer is using opens and displays the expected records.

Edit:  WesternWanderer opened topic Unable to print envelopes from data base in the Base forum  

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
WesternWanderer

Re: Cannot select database when printing envelopes on MacOS 10

Thanks for all your comments. You might gather I'm a bunny (a very old bunny!) in the computer game! I downloaded Libre but it seems the only version available is 7.4 or higher. Unfortunately it will not run on Mac high sierra 13.6. It seems I need a version 7 can you tell me where to find that please. Thank you.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

And here I thought that bunnies would have wonderful vision from all the carrots they eat.

Scroll down the LibreOffice download page and near the bottom you will see Older versions of LibreOffice (no longer updated!) are available in the archive; the word archive on that page is a link to the archive.

From another old bunny who knows the story about carrots and vision is a furphy.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
WesternWanderer

Thanks for the reply - it's good you are on the right side of the planet! OK I found the archive but how do I download it? I clicked on it but it immediately sets up an email to hostmaster@documentfoundation.org
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The in the archive link on that page should lead to https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

The only link there that gives the hostmaster email is in the text Apache Server at downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org Port 80 at the very bottom of the page. You need to determine the appropriate version of LO you need and click the link corresponding to that version.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

According to https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Doc ... other_OSes MacOS 13.6 is supported up to LO 7.4.x.x
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
WesternWanderer

Thanks David - I stumbled through and managed to get the archive download started, 1.25 hours later it finished! So went through the process of loading it into the Applications and opened it only to be informed that this Mac can't run 7.4 - I need at least OS 11. So start the process again and load 7.2 - this time 2 hours with the same result. Not sure if I should persist and try 7 or lower. Its possibly due to slow speeds on the NBN but normally I have no problems and the 7.5 version of Libre loaded very quickly.
I'm starting to think i have to persist with trying to learn Microsoft mail Merge - gasp!
WesternWanderer

Hi David - I have at last been able to download Libre 7 and it's operational! Only took an hour this time during the day - slightly faster speeds.
So it has worked and I'm able to print envelopes again - yay! I could open and use the existing mail data base but cannot create anything in Base because it says i need Java JDK. I downloaded Java and tried to open it but it said there is an existing Java ? very strange but I can manage - I don't create very much.
I gave up on mail merge in Word again because it does not create the address fields as shown in all the on-line tutorials.
As you commented - the rabbits and carrots story is a Furphy - my Grandma always said it was true though because you never see a rabbit wearing glasses!
RoryOF

OT: Cannot select database when printing envelopes on MacOS 10

Post by RoryOF »

If download speeds are slow, consider using a Torrent connection; these use applications that download at controllable rates in chunks from multiple servers; their download bandwidth can be adjusted to leave sufficient spare bandwidth during the download for email and limited surfing. They can also be left to run overnight without supervision.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

WesternWanderer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:54 pm cannot create anything in Base because it says i need Java JDK
Q06: How do I install Java for OpenOffice on a Mac?
I would guess the procedure is essentially the same for LibreOffice. Java is Java, and on MacOS both OpenOffice and LibreOffice are 64-bit applications.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).