LO Notepad

Talk about anything at all....
Oskar4U

LO Notepad

Post by Oskar4U »

Instead of the Writer I need to have something similar to Windows Notepad, a small editor to write sort sentences/ideas etc. I try to make a new template of the Writer small and no menus but I was not successful (still opens full size Writer).

Any ideas on how to get a LO "Notepad" ?

Thank you
Nicolas
LibreOffice 7.5.4.2 in Windows11
RoryOF

Re: LO Notepad ?

Post by RoryOF »

Reduce the size of your Writer window, by pulling a corner or a top/bottom edge and a left/right edge, as one reduces the size of any Windows Window, and it will subsequently open at that reduced size.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I would recommend TreePad Lite, great for note taking and so on. You can export 'articles' to .txt files if you so wish. It is best to download the ZIP file as it has an installer bundled in it. However, it isn't necessary to install it if you don't want to. In that way you can test it and see if it is suitable for your needs. Just unzip and launch Treepad.exe

Note that TreePad is no longer in development, the software author died, so no updates.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

I use Notepad but there are numerous more sophisticated text editors, including free ones like TED notepad, many others.

To adapt LO try switching to view menu/web. Make the window small and hide toolbars.

I wrote an extension a while ago to open windows with saved size and chosen or no toolbars and to hide the menubar if wanted - but it needs some work. (Edit: well, probably a lot of work)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=102780
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Hagar Delest

Re: LO Notepad

Post by Hagar Delest »

Oskar4U wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:01 pm Any ideas on how to get a LO "Notepad" ?
What is the point exactly?
Use the tool that fits best your needs. What is the problem using Notepad?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Oskar4U

Post by Oskar4U »

Hagar Delest wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:03 pm What is the point exactly?
Use the tool that fits best your needs. What is the problem using Notepad?
Eventually I will get rid of MS Windows and I thought Notepad is a MS product.
Nicolas
Oskar4U

Post by Oskar4U »

LastUnicorn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:23 pm I would recommend TreePad Lite, great for note taking and so on. You can export 'articles' to .txt files if you so wish. It is best to download the ZIP file as it has an installer bundled in it. However, it isn't necessary to install it if you don't want to. In that way you can test it and see if it is suitable for your needs. Just unzip and launch Treepad.exe
Note that TreePad is no longer in development, the software author died, so no updates.
Looks like TreePad is not a free software?
Nicolas
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

@Hagar Delest

Believe it not depite being with Windows since year dot - it has bugs - I've found the last lines sometimes not displayed. And maybe the OP needs a spellchecker? There's a free one called TinySpell which enables spelling in Windows applications - other payed for ones I've come across in the past. I just copy into Writer when I need to spellcheck - and back.

I wouldn't use an "LO Notepad" though, because LO loads too slowly for me. One of the reasons I still cling on to OO...
Last edited by JeJe on Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Oskar4U wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:39 pm Eventually I will get rid of MS Windows and I thought Notepad is a MS product.
If you're switching to Linux, one thing Linux distributions tend to have is plenty of text editors in with the installation - often a baffling number of them.
karolus
Volunteer

Post by karolus »

If you want »free« Software … you should start with removing $Windows …

edit: to late…
AOO4, Libreoffice 6.1 on Rasbian OS (on ARM)
Libreoffice 7.4 on Debian 12 (Bookworm) (on RaspberryPI4)
Libreoffice 7.6 flatpak on Debian 12 (Bookworm) (on RaspberryPI4)
Oskar4U

Post by Oskar4U »

Regarding free software its not about the money but more about giving my email etc to another source which is not a real necessity. My desktop PC is only Linux and I know about the myriads of text editors they have but my main PC is my Windows11 laptop.

Anyway I will try to change the size of LO Writer window as mentioned here earlier and see what I will get

My thanks to all
Nicolas
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Oskar4U wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:01 pm ...
Any ideas on how to get a LO "Notepad" ?
No, but if I seek an open replacement for Notepad, Notepad++ would be a good start.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Oskar4U wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:48 pm Looks like TreePad is not a free software?
TreePad Lite is freeware. Other versions of TreePad would have required payment, are no longer available from its one-time parent-site — the author is dead and the whole thing died with him, which is a huge pity as he really knew how to code. I have a licenced version of TreePad Business Edition with is my most used application on my system for dealing with text, it is brilliant for doing notes and even full-blown articles, which is most of what I do anyway. Been using it for years and would be a bit lost without it — it saves me from having many hundreds of separate files on my system, it is all stored in four TreePad databases that I have. Nowadays it isn't possible to buy a licence for TreePad, hence, if you are interested in the app at all, your only option is TreePad Lite. It's worth giving it a try as a portable and see what you think.

For something that utilises the exact same concept and that is free and actively developed then CherryTree is the one to look at. It is available for Linux and Windows systems — and on Windows it can be tried as a portable. I don't know if there is a Linux portable equivalent. If I wasn't using TreePad I would most likely be using CherryTree.

Once you get used to using the likes of CherryTree and the idea of storing notes and articles in a tree-like structure rather than many multiples of separate files I doubt you would go back to the old way of managing most of you text files.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

@LastUnicorn Have you seen Organon extension for Writer?

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/organon

I've seen a mass of tree control word processor or note type applications in my time - never got hooked.

Writer has a lot of underutilised potential in its textsections for breaking things into parts/collapsing/hiding etc though.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Thanks JeJe. I'll have a look at it later but I'm pretty sure I'll just stick with my trusty TreePad.
Windows 10 Pro. x64