PDF not converting

Discuss the word processor
ron613

PDF not converting

Post by ron613 »

I have been using open office for 20 years...my 500 page book I convert to pdf and upload to an online self published book company and an online reader called pubhtml - everything has worked fine for 20 years...I revise my open office doc...i turn it into a pdf...i upload to both...suddenly not accepted with the book publisher..and when i upload to pubhtml it says error not converting...this is what i have tried
1 - online virus checker - no virus
2 - online odt to pdf converter - still not working
3 - onlint pdf compressor - still not working
4 - online pdf compressor extreme compression - sill not working
5 - read forum open office someone suggested choosing - a1a in pdf conversion - still not working
6 - read forum open office someone suggested and add on testfontsjtb.oxt - downloaded - it says i already have this
7 - when I upload the same file from January to pubhtml it works ( this file is 3.49 meg ) the new sept revised file is 3.54 megs - not working

WHAT IS GOING ON?
does anybody know???
windows 10
open office 4.1.14
LastUnicorn

Re: pdf not converting

Post by LastUnicorn »

Try out LibreOffice and see if you have better luck with that. There are good reasons to switch anyway, some of which at mentioned here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
ron613

Re: PDF not converting

Post by ron613 »

i tried the download - still did not fix the issue
windows 10
open office 4.1.14
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you check the properties of the 2 files that works and doesn't? Is there any missing font in the one that doesn't work? In 6 you say you have it but it's not clear if you already have this extension or if the result is that you do have all the fonts embedded.

Any support from the publisher that could tell what's wrong with your file?
Have you tried to change the settings in the PDF export? Like activating (or deactivating) the PDF/A feature? And removing the hybrid option is activated?
Do you still have a backup of the odt version dated from January to try converting it to PDF again to see if that same file would be rejected now too?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
ron613

Post by ron613 »

hi...do you know where i can go to get this fixed???...
tried export PDF/A ..then tried no PDF/A
i have something now installed that says test of missing fonts...(FO in red on top right of open office file) must be the font app I downloaded
but have no idea what to do with it...says there are a whole bunch of mussing fonts everywhere..apparently..dont know how to read this...but its not possible because for 20 years i keep printing the same file and adding new pages to it...
windows 10
open office 4.1.14
ron613

Post by ron613 »

the old file and new file say the same thin in properties
Microsoft Edge PDF Document (.pdf)
windows 10
open office 4.1.14
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In OpenOffice/LibreOffice open your .odt file (note: _NOT_ the .pdf file) and click the red button with fo on it. It will think for a short time, then pop up a report of fonts that are requested by your .odt file, but which are missing and substituted by others.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ron613

Post by ron613 »

ok...so this is what it says...how does this help me?

Missing fonts - found: 9 times
Direct formatting fonts - found: 13 times
Fonts assigned to used paragraph styles - found: 6 times
Fonts assigned to used character styles - found: 4 times

Available system fonts - found: 738 times
windows 10
open office 4.1.14
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ron613 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:28 pm ...my 500 page book...
Do the book company and pubhtml have page limits?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
ron613

Post by ron613 »

I did not add any pages...I only added a few paragraphs in a blank space...no additional pages
windows 10
open office 4.1.14
ron613

Post by ron613 »

to add to this mystery...the file that would not upload to the publisher...suddenly now has been uploaded after 24 hours....no idea how that happened..so I downloaded the print ready file...and I tried to upload it to pubhtml thinking that whatever they did muct have fixed it..but it still did not work...then i noticed something else very unusual...the file should be 3.54 megabytes..but after the publishing site worked its magic over 24 hours and somehow published it (even though to me it said error)..when I downloaded the print ready file..it was 32 megabytes!!! whatever it did to fix it and upload it..also turned it inot a monster of 32 mega?!! any idea what could be going on?
windows 10
open office 4.1.14
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

ron613 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:24 pm Missing fonts - found: 9 times
It tells that the document uses fonts that are not installed on your machine. Is it the same with the previous file that got uploaded correctly early this year?
There may be some issues due to those missing fonts. Try to install them and see if it's better.

As for the file size increase, ask the publisher support. They are the ones who know what's behind the scene when processing the files.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10