Footnote overflow (next page)

Discuss the word processor
Hrodlandson

Footnote overflow (next page)

Post by Hrodlandson »

Here is the puzzle:
I have a Writer file which has footnotes at the end of some pages. For one page there are three footnotes but the last footnote reference is very near the bottom of the page of text. So close that only the first line of the note remains on the page where the reference appears. The balance of the footnote continues in the footnote area on the next page.
I find this undesireable.
I would like the text of the paragraph to "spill" to the next page before the footnote reference occurs so the footnote text is placed at the foot of that next page.
(I have explored the use of "widow" and "orphan" options and cannot fathom the logic of their design. Why they result in the wholesale repositioning of the balance of a paragaph is a real puzzle. But this is beside the matter.)
I would like to have a way to arrange for a few lines of the paragraph to remain at the bottom of the text, while the part (of the paragraph), which includes the note, is "pushed" to the next page.
And, this is the crucial aspect, if the content above the footnote (or on prior pages) subsequently expands (or contracts) the "push" of the footnote should appropriately adjust.
(I've tried to attach a sample odt ["FootnoteFollies"] to illustrate the situation.)
Attachments
FootnoteFollies.odt
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows Vista(SonyEqCo)
RoryOF

Re: footnote overflow (next page)

Post by RoryOF »

Select the paragraph with the footnote 3 reference, and adjust /Character /Position : Spacing by expanding or diminishing the inter-character spacing. Use increments of +/- 0.1 pt until you get a nice result. As far as I know there is no way to do this automatically - you will have to handle each case individually.

An off-topic comment: For the page size (User) you are using 12 point text is too large; I would advise 10 pt, with your footnote size 8 pt. Also, I see no reason to use indents before the paragraphs; your body text should be using paragraph style Text body, not Default.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Footnote overflow (next page)

Post by JeJe »

If you modify the "Footnote" paragraph style (F11 for styles and formatting) so the style's Text Flow tab has the Option "Do not split paragraph" then footnote 3 will be kept together and will all go on the next page.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)