SQL Alias Syntax for SubQuery in LibreOffice Base

Creating tables and queries
LOn00bie

SQL Alias Syntax for SubQuery in LibreOffice Base

Post by LOn00bie »

Hello,

could you help me with a multi-query in the database, I'm looking for alternative methods available for implementing subqueries, assuming the are more as 10 conditions to calculate values. I'm looking for something similar to do an inline alias like its done in microsoft access.

Example (Pseudocode): Select C = A*B, D = C + A From A,B

Thanks!

Regards,
LOn00bie
LibreOffice 7.2 & Windows 10
FJCC

Re: SQL Alias Syntax for SubQuery in LibreOffice Base

Post by FJCC »

I'm not sure exactly what you need. Here is an example of making a calculated column named Mult that is the product of the columns named Col1 in the two tables Table1 and Table2. The rows of the tables are matched using the ID column in each table.

Code: Select all

SELECT "Table1"."Col1" * "Table2"."Col1" AS "Mult" FROM "Table1", "Table2" WHERE "Table1"."ID" = "Table2"."ID"
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

To use an alias like C in more than one term of the query usually requires it to be defined in a sub-query.
The sub-query will probably need at least one more term to insure that it returns a single value. I haven't tested it but it might be something like

select  M.C, (M.C + A) D
from A, B, (select  (A*B) C, A.X from A,B) as M
where M.X = A.X
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Cazer

Post by Cazer »

Just to add to what UnklDonald418 and FJCC have already said, you can definitely create calculated columns in your SQL query in LibreOffice Base. The main thing to remember is that you can't use a calculated column in the same query where it's created, unless you nest it in a sub-query.

Here's an adjusted version of UnklDonald418's example:

SELECT M.C, (M.C + M.A) AS D
FROM (SELECT A, B, (A*B) AS C FROM YourTable) AS M
In this query, 'YourTable' should be replaced with the name of your table. The sub-query 'M' calculates 'C' as 'A*B', and the outer query calculates 'D' as 'C+A'.
OpenOffice 4.1.14
OS
LOn00bie

Post by LOn00bie »

Hi,

thanks for your detailed answers, I would like to find something similar to Microsoft Access syntax. The question is whether it is possible to do this without Subquery ...

MS Access

SELECT [A]*[B] AS C, [C]*10 AS D
FROM TEST;
Base

SELECT [A]*[B] AS C, [C]*10 AS D
FROM TEST;
firebird_sdbc error:
*Dynamic SQL Error
*SQL error code = -206
*Column unknown
*C
*At line 1, column 23
caused by
'isc_dsql_prepare'
or

SELECT "C", "D" FROM "TEST" WHERE
( "C" = ROUND(( "A" * "B" ), 0 )) AND ( "D" = ROUND((( "C" *  ( 10 )), 0 ))
Attachments
TEST_Access.7z
(13.53 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
TEST.odb
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
LibreOffice 7.2 & Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The question is whether it is possible to do this without Subquery ...
No.
Base is not a MSAcess clone.
Using non-standard (ISO) syntax like that locks you into MSAccess, which I am sure is part of the Microsoft marketing strategy.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11