[Solved] Characters remain anchored to their initial spot

Discuss the drawing application
14Moon15

[Solved] Characters remain anchored to their initial spot

Post by 14Moon15 »

80 pt. fonts of a document I completed yesterday are not able to be re-positioned today. I had to modify this document today. After I did so,I saved it but when I went back to it a little later to upload it, I noticed the font "A" was super bold. I have no idea how that happened and it wasn't easy getting it un-bold. I don't even know what I really did but I got it to a regular 80 pt. "A" font...After some newly invented words and expressions.

That was one headache out of the way but now the 80 pt. "A" is shifted a little bit out of place off to the right. And I've tried everything, but I can't shift it back to the left.

These fonts are laid over a projection map I downloaded. I had no problem yesterday moving them around where I needed them to go. I chose and shifted each font separately. Also, objects not laid over the map, (on the document area) I can still move around by clicking near them to bring up the green squares. They're no problem.

Does all this have something to do with "glue points"? Did these fonts somehow become anchored to the page after I completed the document yesterday and saved it? Is there some kind of setting to change to remedy this?

I don't have much time to look into this and I have to get this done.

If anyone can solve this problem it would be very helpful and needed.

Thank you very much.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by 14Moon15 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.1 Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Characters remain anchored to their initial spot

Post by Hagar Delest »

What file format do you use? Make sure that it is the native ODF (.odg for Draw). Else, any import/export operation may lead to such glitch.
Do you use a font that is indeed installed on your machine? AOO may replace it by something else if not found.

I have edited your title BTW.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
14Moon15

Post by 14Moon15 »

Thanks for your reply. Yes it's ODF Draw. they're the fonts when I click the blue T button and then move my cursor over the document and scroll which opens a box which I type a letter into. 80 pt. in this case.
I'm using Win 11.
Cazer

Post by Cazer »

That's an interesting issue! It's possible that something has indeed anchored the characters. But before diving into that, a couple of quick checks: Make sure the 'Position and Size' settings of the characters aren't locked (right-click on the character > 'Position and Size' > 'Protect'). If it's checked, uncheck it.

Also, if you're using layers, ensure you haven't accidentally locked the layer. Go to 'Format' > 'Layers' and check if the 'Modify' box is unchecked for the layer your text is on.

One more thing, since you've recently edited the doc, try reverting to a previous version if available. Sometimes, this solves the issue mysteriously.
OpenOffice 4.1.14
OS
14Moon15

Fonts: I can't reposition fonts. They are achored in their spot.

Post by 14Moon15 »

Mr. Programmer. I'll attach a mock-up document today.
thx
14Moon15

Post by 14Moon15 »

OK Cazer. Yes, this is very strange. I'm not proficient with Open Office Draw or any of their programs, but common sense tells me I should be able to edit my document i.e. repositioning and shifting the characters around if need be. I mean...C'mon, Open Office Draw can't handle this??? No, can't be... So I'll look into this. Thank you very much!

Ok Cazer. I just verified those settings and they were as they should be. I'll look into the reverting possibility but I'm not too sure how to do that.
Thanks a lot, regardless.
Last edited by 14Moon15 on Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

When you type your text, hit Esc key, you should see amber handles around the object that contains the text. Then move that object. The cursor should change to a 4 arrows headed cross to move it (click and drag).
14Moon15

Post by 14Moon15 »

OK. Thank you Hagar Delest. I'll try something like this. I'm trying to shift an existing letter "A" a little bit left back to where it should be. And I might have to slightly shift some other letters slightly, all depending...But like I've been explaining, all the letters are unmovable and anchored to their positions.

I was clicking the T button and surrounding the character with a box and trying to move it. But the box would only move getting smaller depending on which side of it I was reducing. I was trying all different things...
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Once you have written some text, I guess that you understand that you cannot move the characters separately because they are part of a string of characters.
If you want to move single characters, then they need to be in their own text box.
14Moon15

Post by 14Moon15 »

Yes. One box per character.
But I did something else did get around this anchored "A" problem.
14Moon15

[Solved] Sort of...Characters remain anchored to their initial spot

Post by 14Moon15 »

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, everybody.
Much appreciated.

I couldn't actually move the "A" back to it's position. And so I tried once again to just delete the "A" like I tried as a last resort the other day. But this time with a renewed sense of optimism. And after five minutes of unflappable determination I finally did send that "A" off to the recycle bin or where ever. Cyber space, who knows...Maybe I'll take a look later.

I have no idea what I really did to delete it. I boxed it and shaded it and pressed the delete key and nothing happened. I tried to Cut it. That didn't work. I think the delete key finally worked.

So after this I just boxed another 80 pt. "A" and moved it into place.

Somehow that "A" got affected by what I did to modify my document. That part of the document was not visible because I was copying and pasting to the bottom of the document something from another document. A few times a large box appeared over almost my entire document while I was clicking and pasting. It did something to affect that "A".