[Solved] Unwanted 4.1.2 registration message

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
June9

[Solved] Unwanted 4.1.2 registration message

Post by June9 »

Hello, I've been using OpenOffice since 2015. Today (5/16/23), while trying to open it, I keep getting the message "Welcome to OpenOffice 4.1.2, this wizzard will guide you through the registration of OpenOffice. Click next to continue". I never tried to update this program at any time. Is this a new requirement or a hacking? I've been using Windows 10 for years. I checked the community postings but didn't see this issue anywhere. Please advise.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 17, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.
RoryOF

Re: Unwanted 4.1.2 registration message

Post by RoryOF »

This is caused by the computer having been shut down too quickly, before the OpenOffice housekeeping has been written to disk; Simply enter your name and initials, and a new OpenOffice User Profile will be created. In future, wait a few seconds after closing OpenOffice before powering off the computer or closing a laptop lid.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The registration dialog is a symptom of your user profile having been corrupted. A possible cause is shutting down the computer too quickly after closing OpenOffice or a power glitch at just the wrong moment. Just fill out the registration dialog and you will get a new profile. All the information you enter is stored locally on your computer. Nothing goes to any external recipient.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
June9

Post by June9 »

It worked. I added my initials and it opened. Thank you so much for your prompt responses.
OpenOffice 4.1.