[Solved] Export to PDF crashes on large documents

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
mik3ca

[Solved] Export to PDF crashes on large documents

Post by mik3ca »

Usually I can convert my documents to PDF files just fine but this time I came across a major issue.

I wanted to create myself a large sign 36 x 24 inches.

The writer itself would happily allow me to save it as a regular odt file and load it again, but when I try to export it as a PDF, no matter what settings I have the problem but only on large documents. The problem is the program appears to work at first then the screen simply goes black leaving me with no choice but to power down the computer and restart it.

The sign contains only coloured text, not drawings, no 3D objects, nothing else. The font is all the same but sizes are different.

The only thing I changed a while back is that I moved the open office cache folder to a ram drive so my disk wouldn't thrash so much but maybe now that is a mistake for large documents.

Also, is there maybe a command line utility I can use to convert odt files to PDFs without having to go through the writer to produce the PDF?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri May 12, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Open office 4.1.7 - Slackware Linux 14.2
FJCC

Re: Export to PDF crashes on large documnts regardless of settings

Post by FJCC »

I made a document with a 36" wide x 24" tall page filled with 96 point text. It converts to PDF on my system with no problem.Does the attached document work for you?
Attachments
BigPage.odt
(20.62 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Also, is there maybe a command line utility I can use to convert odt files to PDFs without having to go through the writer to produce the PDF?
You can try some third party virtual PDF Printer softwares. Even the Win 10 has one of them.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I was also able to make a 36 x 24 inch document with 96 pt text.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Don't remember exactly if it is the same with AOO (screenshot below from LO) but if there is the option "Universal Accessibility (PDF/UA)", try to disable it.
I've had many issues also until I switched off this option.

PDF_export.png
PDF_export.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 4872 times

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Export to PDF crashes on large documents regardless of settings

Post by RoryOF »

@Hagar Delest: not on Apache OpenOffice.
mik3ca

Post by mik3ca »

I haven't tried it with the oversized document and I don't know if its possible, but I did print to a virtual PDF printer (CUPS-PDF). then the PDF was made but in black and white.

Does anyone know the actual memory requirements to run the software (like stack size, ram, etc)? Maybe I'm being too strict with my unix ulimit settings im not sure.
mik3ca

[solved] Export to PDF crashes on large documents regardless of settings

Post by mik3ca »

I seemed to have found a solution and I tested it today by creating a 36"x24" document with 3 pictures of about 13"x9"

The problem was setting the maximum locked memory with "ulimit -l" to a very low value (64 KB). Documentation elsewhere states this setting is for memory shared across all programs.

Now I changed this setting to 200 MB with "ulimit -l 262144" and the program now works nicely.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Normally computers now have so much memory that one does not need to change default (often hidden) installation memory settings.