[Solved] Operators replaced with Icons

Discuss the formula editor
TexaCelt

[Solved] Operators replaced with Icons

Post by TexaCelt »

I just upgraded to 4.1.14.
When I opened Writer to prepare quizzes for the class I'm teaching, the formulas I had embedded suddenly weren't the same. They have been good for three years.
All the plus signs have changed to envelope icons, and the equals signs have become floppy disks. When I open the formula editor everything looks good; the pluses are pluses and the equals are equals. But the embedded formulas in Writer are bizarre.
What's up?
Last edited by TexaCelt on Tue May 09, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on Windows 11
RoryOF

Re: Operators replaced with Icons

Post by RoryOF »

Did you also upgrade to Windows 11? Perhaps these changed characters are caused by a missing font and a replacement is being silently substituted?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TexaCelt

Post by TexaCelt »

I've been running Windows 11 since last August with no problems.
This only showed up when I upgraded to OO 4.1.14. And it's only the plus and equals signs.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What happens if you make a fresh embedded formula, using plus and equals signs, save the file, then reopen? Do the characters remain correct?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

RoryOF wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:10 pm Did you also upgrade to Windows 11? Perhaps these changed characters are caused by a missing font and a replacement is being silently substituted?
Some people have reported that bullet characters are not displayed properly and have solved the problem by setting a font replacement option in OpenOffice → Fonts. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms. I realize you're not asking about bullet characters, but perhaps the solution is the same.
• Click Apply replacement table
• For Font specify Symbol and for Replace With specify OpenSymbol
• Click the green checkmark to the left, your mapping should show up in the replacement table
• Click Always next to the symbol mapping, then click OK at the bottom

But Windows 8.1 delivered a bad OpenSymbol font and topics in the forum suggest that Windows 10, and thus perhaps Windows 11, suffer from the same bad font. Review these topics in the Math forum (and others which you can locate yourself) for more information about how to get an updated font.
[Solved] Symbols font on Windows 8.1
Math fonts not loading correctly
[Solved] Disconnected/Misaligned Square Root Symbol
[Solved] Underbrace is wrong position
Perfectly Formed Square Root Signs

You are far more likely to get your problem solved when you attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). Then other people who use Windows can see if they experience the same problem as you do on your system. I, thankfully, do not use Windows and so probably can't help further with this.

TexaCelt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:52 pm This only showed up when I upgraded to OO 4.1.14. And it's only the plus and equals signs.
You can downgrade to 4.1.13. OpenOffice has another known problem with 4.1.14. Perhaps you've discovered a second one.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
TexaCelt

Post by TexaCelt »

The same thing happens when I type in a fresh formula. The pluses and equals are still replaced.
I'll check on the assigned fonts to see if that can be changed.
TexaCelt

Post by TexaCelt »

I am not finding a "Apply Replacement Table" in the Tools --> Options menu.
TexaCelt

Post by TexaCelt »

Wait ... I found it.
And there is no "OpenSymbol" font. This might be the problem.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

That is what I was going to ask. I think it is indeed the issue. Strange that it would not been installed with AOO.
Install it (should be available on the net) and tell us if it is OK.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TexaCelt

Post by TexaCelt »

Okay, that was the problem. I have no idea where the font went, but now that I have re-installed it, everything works.
Thank you for the help!