[Dropped] Save operation delayed by search for old server

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
alanf99

[Dropped] Save operation delayed by search for old server

Post by alanf99 »

Every time I save a file in OpenOffice - in any application, but for the first time in a session, I have to wait for the system to search for an old server, no longer in use and in fact located in another country under a new name. The wheel of death goes round and round until it gives up and announces that the server cannot be found. It drives me nuts but Apple confirms that it is not an OS issue but limited only to OpenOffice. Could someone please tell me how to tell my system to stop trying?

Another thing: I am a Brit wanting to use UK English but the application keeps putting me into Eire English with an American English spell-check. Another madness, for I have spent a lifetime trying not to fall into the trap of using American spellings unless I really want them, but how to turn it off?

Any suggestions welcome!

Edit: Changed subject, was Saving to disk 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed May 03, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No response from alanf99 -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on MacOS 12.6.3
Hagar Delest

Re: Saving to disk

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can try to uncheck the Load printer settings with the document option in Tools>Options>Load/Save>General.
If no change, see if LibreOffice does better, it is under much more active development than AOO.

For your second question, please create a new topic. Have you tried some searches in the forum?

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

alanf99 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:41 am It drives me nuts but Apple confirms that it is not an OS issue but limited only to OpenOffice.
Try installing and using LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. Does that solve the issue? There are several good reasons for switching to LibreOffice some of which given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

For your speller woes I would again say see how things go if you switch to LibreOffice. You can get the latest English spell-checker for LibreOffice here: English dictionaries for LibreOffice

If you want to persist with OpenOffice then you can get the latest English spell-checker from here: English dictionaries for Apache OpenOffice
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On a Mac, in Preferences - Options - Language settings - Languages choose
User Interface = English (UK)
Locale setting = English (UK)
Default currency = GBP £ English (UK)
Default languages for documents Western = English (UK)

Then press OK and all should be well for your language settings, unless existing documents remember incorrect languages, in which case you will need to change those on a document by document basis..
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is no point I ask the OP to create a new topic for the spell check issue if you continue the discussion here!
More moderation work to move the posts afterward.
:crazy:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Have a look at menu::File>Printer Settings... if there is a remote printer set up.
alanf99 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:41 am Every time I save a file in OpenOffice - in any application,
Have a look at the system settings if there is a remote printer set up as default printer.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice