Expected printer now shown as "generic"; No print job is created

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
DavidMcCann

Expected printer now shown as "generic"; No print job is created

Post by DavidMcCann »

When I print, I normally get the choice of printing to a file or using the installed HP laser printer. Today the printer is shown as "generic" and attempting to use it does nothing: CUPS doesn't receive a job. I can still print, but only by printing to a file and then using a document viewer to print the resulting PS file. Does anyone know why OpenOffice is no longer finding the installed printer?

Edit: Changed subject, was Lost printe 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added keywords to improve searching by others
LibreOffice 6.3.4 on PCLinuxOS
RoryOF

Re: Lost printer

Post by RoryOF »

Note that OpenOffice (probably LibreOffice also) only detects a printer on startup; if you turn on a printer after OpenOffice (also LibreOffice(?)) has started, that printer may not be detected for the OO Print menu. If your printer is connected and online when you start OO/LO, then my next comment may be relevant.

Perhaps an upgrade of your operating system has lost the printer. Many versions of linux are moving to auto discovery of printers, and such an upgrade may have occurred.

With your printer connected and turned on, in your Internet browser address bar, type localhost:631 Select Administration from the window that opens, press "Add printer" and see if it finds your printer. Then go through the process of installation for which it will prompt you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DavidMcCann

Re: Lost printer

Post by DavidMcCann »

I've never had to turn the printer on before starting OP before, and the last time I used it was on Monday. I've just run OO without the printer connected and it's showing the printer! Evidently Thursday's event was one of those mysterious glitches that affect computers once in a while. Thanks for the suggestions though.
LibreOffice 6.3.4 on PCLinuxOS