[Solved] Can't Access Dropbox Files in OpenOffice

Talk about anything at all....
Vivienne Hayes

[Solved] Can't Access Dropbox Files in OpenOffice

Post by Vivienne Hayes »

I have just bought a new computer and with my old one I just opened Open Office and I could see a list of all my files and documents down the lefthand side that were saved in Dropbox, and could click to open them and amend them. On my new computer I have downloaded Open Office but I can't access any of my documents or files as none of them show. I am getting rather stressed out - nearly 80 and brain doesn't always work as good as it used to! I would be ever so grateful if someone could advise me what I can do to have it set up like in my old computer.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.13 on Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Re: Can't Access Dropbox Files in Open Office

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

In your file explorer, do you see your Dropbox folder with your files inside?
Maybe you need to redo the synchroinzation with your Dropbox cloud folder.
I don't use Dropbox so couldn't tell exactly how you do it. But there may be a Dropbox application to install on your Windows system so that it handles the synchronization. Then, once you see your files in the Explorer, you shoul dbe able to access them from OpenOffice.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Vivienne Hayes

Re: Can't Access Dropbox Files in OpenOffice

Post by Vivienne Hayes »

No, unfortunately I can't see the files, although I can in my old computer. I will be in a mess if I can't solve the problem and assume it will be the same using other similar programmes if they are not in File Explorer. I have used Open Office for a lot of years now.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you installed and launched Dropbox on your new computer?
I think it is the first step to reconnect with your cloud.
As long as you don't see the files in your file explorer, it is a Windows / Dropbox issue, not yet an OpenOffice issue.
Vivienne Hayes

Post by Vivienne Hayes »

I dont appear to know how to download it. I will have a look again tomorrow, we are going out about 7 pm and back about 10 pm. My husband can't help as he doesn't know how to use it.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems you have to go there to download it and then install it: https://www.dropbox.com/install
Vivienne Hayes

Post by Vivienne Hayes »

Think I may have clicked something to return a reply, hope not. The link is to download an Android App but I have that on my tablet and can view the files in Dropbox but what I need is to get my files into File Explorer on my computer, Windows 11. They are on my old computer which is Windows 11 as I downloaded it. I can log into Dropbox and view the files but can't see them in Open Office
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Weird, the link I gave is the same as provided in the page linked by LastUnicorn. It points to a download page for the Windows installer (the .exe). Do you access that page with your new computer?

Once you see the files in the Explorer on your new computer, open OpenOffice and with the menu File > Open, navigate to your Dropbox folder on your computer.
Vivienne Hayes

Post by Vivienne Hayes »

Hagar, I use my tablet when computer switched off in spare bedroom and that must be why it said Android. Silly me. Anyway, I used my computer to click on the link that LastUnicorn did and I now have my folders and files showing in File Explorer and consequently can access them in Open Office. Such a relief - big hugs to you both.