Spreadsheets crash after open on Windows 11

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
WAMARS

Spreadsheets crash after open on Windows 11

Post by WAMARS »

After I open a spreadsheet, even one created in OpenOffice, if I try to work with the spreadsheet I immediately get an error message the OpenOffice unexpectedly crashed, and I have to recover the spreadsheet.

I get the same result if I try to work with the recovered spreadsheet. (The problem does not impact text documents.)

I have tried downloading Open Office with Wave and Chrome. I have tried saving the spreadsheet in ODF format, Excel format and OpenOffice.

This is extremely frustrating. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Changed subject, was Working with spreadsheets 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
OpenOffice version 4.1.13; Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Re: Working with spreadsheets

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you want to keep AOO, you can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile and see if there is any improvement.
Else, switch to LibreOffice. It has much less of such bugs.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: Working with spreadsheets

Post by LastUnicorn »

Lately there have been multiple posts to this forum from people finding issues with OpenOffice on Windows 10 and 11 systems. Often times the issues are solved by just switching to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons to make the switch, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
WAMARS

Re: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

Post by WAMARS »

Thank you!
I'll try your suggestions!
OpenOffice version 4.1.13; Windows 11
jaktaff

Re: Spreadsheets crash after open on Windows 11

Post by jaktaff »

Would agree with LastUnicorn - LibreOffice is the answer in Windows11 and its 64bit! No more 3 minute waits for document recovery
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.13_Win_x86_install_en-GB(3)