Insert Row in Base table

Creating tables and queries
technoweary

Insert Row in Base table

Post by technoweary »

I am trying to use Libre Base and escape Access again, so still a very green newbie
I try to insert a row into a table, (select row, right click- select 'Insert Rows') and my system just ignores the command
Is this usual or am I missing something / doing something wrong
Any advice gratefully received
Regards
TW
OpenOffice 7.4.5.1 (x64) Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Insert Row in Base table

Post by UnklDonald418 »

It would be best if you could upload a sample of your database, or at least a screen shot of the table structure.
One common problem for those coming from Access involves the Primary Key which most Access tables do not have. Tables that adhere to the ISO standard for SQL require a Primary Key. Usually an Integer field that is automatically generated by the database engine and used by the engine to uniquely identify a row. A table without a Primary Key is read only.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
technoweary

Post by technoweary »

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
I have attached a .pdf as requested
Regards
TW
Attachments
Table.pdf
(33.2 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

technoweary wrote: I try to insert a row into a table, (select row, right click- select 'Insert Rows') and my system just ignores the command
The row is added as the last one of the table. Table has to be opened.

In your Table.pdf a new "row" will create a column in the data table. You had chosen edit. If you open the data base table you surely can add a row, if the Primary Key exists. It seems that wherever you try to insert a new row it is added below the last one.
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

When you have your table open in the Table Data View (look along the top margin) and you select from the menu Insert>Record it simply moves the line cursor (the small green arrow) to the line below the last row containing data. To enter data select one of the blank cells and begin typing. When you reach the last column and press Enter, a value for the ID column will be automatically assigned and the row written into memory. The changes won't be written to the disc until you explicitly Save or Exit the database.
A better way to enter new data is to use a Form. There is a Form wizard to help with that.
Forms offer more formatting options and have clearer navigation controls.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
technoweary

Post by technoweary »

Thanks very much for the replies.
I just really wanted to assure myself that it was not my system that was playing up.
As I explained I have come from Access and inserting rows is second nature to me so it was a puzzle to use the command and for nothing to happen!
I wonder if it would be better not to have the command available to save confusion?

Thank you for the help
Much appreciated
TW
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Switching from Access is a bit challenging at first, a number of things are done differently in OO/LO and some things that were automatic in Access aren't in Base.
I wrote reports using Access for nine years and never needed to write a single line of SQL. After switching to Base I quickly found that I needed a crash course on the basics of SQL.
Access has a team of Microsoft programmers working on fixes and features but the number of volunteers working on the LO Base you are using are likely fewer than a dozen and there are 0 volunteers working on OO Base. Base is a fairly mature piece of software and while it does have a few bugs and shortcomings, for most users they are not fatal. Considering the price difference, most can live with a workaround or two.

The Table Data View has a minimal interface and experienced Base users rarely use it for anything beyond troubleshooting. Forms have a more robust set of controls, so after creating a Table the next thing I usually do is create a Form to access it.
The Form Wizard can quickly create simple Forms and add a single SubForm, but beyond that it's you, the Form Navigator, the Properties dialogs and the Form Controls and Form Design toolbars.
technoweary

Post by technoweary »

UnklDonald418 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:48 am
Access has a team of Microsoft programmers working on fixes and features but the number of volunteers working on the LO Base you are using are likely fewer than a dozen and there are 0 volunteers working on OO Base. Base is a fairly mature piece of software and while it does have a few bugs and shortcomings, for most users they are not fatal. Considering the price difference, most can live with a workaround or two.
I agree 100%
I am using Windows 10 on a desktop PC at moment but the plan is to use a simple Base Table on a couple of tablet PC's, (running Linux), for stock checking. I think Base looks better all round under Linux
Not being able to insert a row is just inconvenient when only attempting to use a Table, with a Form it is unimportant
It would also appear that I need to use a Form because you cannot get a drop down pick list in a Table, (another Access hang over), so I tried the Form Wizard and it was just so easy. (I know the Form will be regarded as unnecessarily "posh" by my colleagues)
However it is all up and running

Microsoft may well have a team working on Access but I do not appear to be able to "Access" the helpful and knowledgeable technical support from Microsoft that I get here!

Thanks s for your help
Very much appreciated
TW