[Solved] Custom Animation Doesn't Work

Discuss the presentation application
jwhelan

[Solved] Custom Animation Doesn't Work

Post by jwhelan »

Hi All:

Custom Animation doesn't work in Impress. It isn't greyed-out, but nothing happens when I click on it. I've tried accessing it from Slide Show and the Toolbar icon.
I found another question on this forum concerning this issue, but it was for a different version of Open Office. Also, the solution offered didn't work (change User Profile) - It seems I'm not allowed to do that, anyway.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Version: Open Office 4.1.7
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470S CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
RAM: 12.0 (11.9 GB usable)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice Version: 4.1.7
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-3470S CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
RAM: 12.0 GB (11.9 GB usable)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Custom Animation Doesn't Work

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload a sample file here. Or you can share it on a free file sharing service (like the Google drive) when the file size is bigger than 128 KiB.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jwhelan

Post by jwhelan »

Thanks for responding!

Here's a sample slide I created.

I wanted to try out the animation tools (e.g. make the red frame flash).

Maybe I should have included this information in the original post: This is a new upload of 4.1.7 (it replaces an old version) - I haven't used it before. Are there settings that need to be changed or activated.
Attachments
Sample Slide.odp
A sample slide created in AOO.
(115.82 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You need to read
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... on_effects
very carefully.

To get a custom animation on entrance, onscreen and exit, you need to select the object separately for each animation, as described in the above reference. I find that the best speeds to select are medium to very slow, and that it best to work out one's animation on a simple test presentation of three slides - a first and final side merely as placeholders surrounding the animation slide. Try the attached quickly modified version of your sample.
 Edit: I should mention that some of the animation effects may not work, but usually one can find something satisfactory. 
Attachments
Sample Slide.odp
(15.45 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jwhelan

Post by jwhelan »

Thanks for the link - It will be very handy!

However, I can't get Custom Animations to open. For instance, after selecting the object. if I go to the Slide Show menu the Custom Animation option is there - It's not greyed-out and appears to be active. But, when I click on it nothing happens - The Custom Animations pane doesn't open. Clicking on the Customs Animations icon in the Toolbar doesn't work either and neither does the Custom Animations option that appears when I right-click on the screen.
Last edited by jwhelan on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You must select the item to which you wish to apply the animation, then click on custom animations.
jwhelan

Post by jwhelan »

Sorry for the confusion! Just after I posted I realized I should have put in that I do select object. I edited the post (see above) but you had already replied - Thanks for the quick response!
nicole.kaup1

Post by nicole.kaup1 »

The exact same thing is happening to me. Was this ever solved?

I highlight what I want to animate, click on custom animation and nothing happens at all. The button is not grayed-out.

I have 4 sentences on the slide, and I'd like each to enter one after another, rather than all 4 at once. I'm assuming it should work just like in Powerpoint.

OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you look closely at RoryOF's first response above?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
nicole.kaup1

Post by nicole.kaup1 »

I did. There doesn't appear to be a task pane in my version. Apparently, it's supposed to be under the view drop-down and it's not there. Everything jwhelan writes in each response is exactly my experience. I know how to use animations, I just can't get to the pane to set them up. It appears not to be an option. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled with the latest version and no change. Wondering if there's some compatibility issue.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A quick inspection suggests that /View /Task pane has been discontinued; instead, try /View /Sidebar; this should place a column of icons on right hand side of Impress window. If these are not visible, there may be five dots showing on the right hand window border, pull these to the left to reveal the icons. By clicking on the top icon (a hamburger stack) you can either select an individual icon's window or undock that entire stack into a floating small window. Custom Animation is the star icon.
 Edit:  Note: I am using Xubuntu, not Windows, so there may be minor differences. If the right hand column of icons or the five dots don't show, try /View /Sidebar again, and look for these items.  
nicole.kaup1

Re: Custom Animation Doesn't Work (solved)

Post by nicole.kaup1 »

That did it. Issue solved. Thank you so much, RoryOF. :D