[Solved] Download EXE module for 64 bit

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
cj2569

[Solved] Download EXE module for 64 bit

Post by cj2569 »

I have a 64 bit Windows machine, but the download options do not include a 64 bit EXE. I am having trouble with my current install and wanted to uninstall/reload. I have uninstalled but am not sure what download option to select. Currently OpenOffice program tells me I "don't have permission to open" my files. Same result even if I sign on as Admin. I have used O.O. for 15 years I NEED HELP!

I am on Windows 10 not 7
Last edited by cj2569 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JBrooks
WAS OpenOffice.org 3.2
NOW LIBREOFFICE (STILL VERSION)
Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Download Load module for 64 bit.

Post by FJCC »

Download and install the 32 bit Windows version.
Some security program, Windows Defender or whatever else you have, may have marked OpenOffice as insecure. I'm not on a Windows machine at the moment. Try looking up how to whitelist an application.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
cj2569

Post by cj2569 »

Thank you. I also get "load module" errors when I go directly to 'File Explorer' and try to load files from there. My O.O. app has bogged down significantly within the last few weeks. I have no explanation for that either. I use AVAST but have had no problems in the-past, still, they update AVAST regularly and who knows what may have changed. I will follow your 'whitelist' direction & see if that helps.
JBrooks
WAS OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Also try resetting your user profile. Open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top. Rename the user folder to user_old. When you restart OpenOffice, you should get the registration screen. Fill that out and see if OpenOffice works better.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice. It has 64 bit version for WINDOWS.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Re: Download EXE module for 64 bit

Post by RoryOF »

One solution, which I only recommend if you are very computer literate, is to move your entire computer to linux as operating system. This is a known method of rejuvenating an older computer. There are then 64 bit versions of Open- and Libre-Office, which will handle your existing data files, which you will need to transfer separately, as a normal operating system upgrade can often wipe the hard disk drive by default.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Of late there have been multiple posts to this forum of people running into issues with OpenOffice on Windows 10 and 11 systems. Often times the solution is just to switch to LibreOffice. Windows 10 and 11 seem a bit more tolerant of LibreOffice than of OpenOffice and in day-to-day use there isn't much difference in using LibreOffice as compared to OpenOffice. There are good reasons to switch to LibreOffice anyway, some of them are given in this thread: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
cj2569

Post by cj2569 »

OKAY, I am highly literate on how computers work (BAL channel command programmer from the 60's), but how the programs and op systems work, I have minimal experience, and I realize my limitations, so no Linux O.S. for me, thanks anyway. I am a writer, and currently all my data files are locked in some sort of deadly embrace: "you do not have permission to open this file", so I am totally scr**ed. Lots of other weird stuff... my O.O. "Help" icon does not work, and the program is slowly cascading into oblivion. I experienced my first "Fatal error" application crash two days ago. I downloaded Java runtime again and will reload O.O. today. I don't find any AVAST App disablement though I do use AVAST.
I'll keep plodding along this side of panic and hope one of your recommendations will solve the problem.
Thank you so much for your replies.
JBrooks
WAS OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

cj2569 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:25 pm I don't find any AVAST App disablement though I do use AVAST.
Excluding certain files or websites from scanning in Avast Antivirus and Avast One

That said you might still be better advised to switch to LibreOffice anyway.
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As a short term fix, you could generate a live linux USB (I suggest Xubuntu) and using it, Save your files to a storage device (perhaps another USB stick). Using the installed LibreOffice on the USB stick, you could even edit such files, whether on the new USB storage or on the main hard drive.

But as you wish.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1 with Tibor:
Zizi64 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:52 am Try the LibreOffice. It has 64 bit version for WINDOWS.
Many security applications have been very picky with AOO recently. Don't know exactly why. But switching to LO will spare you some hassle.
Based on the same code base, you won't be lost.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
cj2569

Re: SOLVED Download EXE module for 64 bit

Post by cj2569 »

To those who recommended LibreOffice, a hearty Thank You! I am up and running again without a hitch. A special Thank You to "LastUnicorn"! The write-up (and links) you provided was complete and flawless. I followed it to the letter and had zero questions/problems.

$50 donation, and it was a dirt cheap bit of salvation!
JBrooks
WAS OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 10