[Solved] Emoji display issue

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
kaoc

[Solved] Emoji display issue

Post by kaoc »

Thanks Zizi64.

I have installed and just tested LibreOffice and found some other issues.

OpenOffice Impress does not have this problem.

So, I still trust OOP more and hope to know the solution to prevent OpenOffice Impress from crashing.

Fig 1: LibreOffice Editing mode - I use uncide Emoji characters in the title and they are all ok in the editing mode

Fig 2: Presentation mode - As you can see, those characters are "narrowed"....
Zizi64 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:17 am Try the latest Still version of the LibreOffice:
https://www.libreoffice.org/
Attachments
Fig 1: LibreOffice Editing mode - I use uncide Emoji characters in the title and they are all ok in the editing mode
2023-01-03 15 05 28.png (25.65 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
2023-01-03 15 05 56.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] Windows copy/paste problem; use Insert > Special Character -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 11
RoryOF

Re: Character display issue with LibreOffice

Post by RoryOF »

It would be helpful if you told us the unicode numbers for the characters in question, so we are all looking at the same things.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your ODF type sample files here.

What fonts are you using?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

kaoc, you have only one post in this forum.
Thanks Zizi64.
What???

Did you re-registered with a new name?
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Zizi64 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:45 pm Did you re-registered with a new name?
:lol:
No, it's not that old friend of ours.
I did split the topic from another one (that can be reached with the link in the first post quote). I didn't bother indicating that the post was split since the link was still there.
Sorry, will do next time. :ouch:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kaoc

Post by kaoc »

1. A sample ODP file is uploaded as the link. (I can't upload it directly since the size of file exceeds the limit)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S2kVX3 ... share_link

2. Font: Arial

3. The continuous crashing problem of OpenOffice Impress is too bad to work. I came here for the technical solutions.

I read through the discussions and also took the suggestion about LibreOffice.

I spent time to install LO and test it. But, LO has other issues. For me, it does not work.

I'm sharing it here for the reference of others who want to try LibreOffice. It may save time.

4. Do I break rules of the forum? If I have said something that upset you, I want to say sorry first, but I don't think it is necessary for me to answer other irrelevant questions, not technical questions. Those questions are very rude and make me feel like being FBI investigation identity.
Zizi64 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:39 pm Please upload your ODF type sample files here.

What fonts are you using?
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You didn't really break forum rules. But you just made us remember of someone who was banned recently for bad behavior. Your first post could be interpreted as the resuming of another discussion.

But since you're facing a different issue, this should not have been posted in the initial topic. The best in this case is to mention that your question arises from another issue and provide the link to the initial discussion if needed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The linked emojis appears normally (not shrinked) in my Portable LO 7.4.2.3 (I have not 7.4.3.2 yet) on Windows 10 x64.
Emojis2.png
Emojis2.png (92.38 KiB) Viewed 5368 times

The LO 7.4.3.2 is a Fresh version (than means :"Stable but maybe bugous") The new Fresh versions may contains new bugs. It it is a bug, then the best way to report it on the bugreport site:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/

And use the latest Still version for the daily work. They contains more bug fixes - relative to the number of the raised bugs of the specific version.
We are users here like you are. The LO 7.3.x.x is the Still version today. As you see on my attached image, the LO 7.4.2 version can handle the emojis fine.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

(I can't upload it directly since the size of file exceeds the limit)
You can optimize the attached images (even they are embedded in other files) before you use and attach them. See my attachad image: it has 64 color only and it has .png file type. (modified by the free IrfanView software)

Your attached file optimized images (optimized color depth) inside:
Untitled 1_optimized.odp
(107.32 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
It is better to use optimized images for your other documents too.

And here is the sample document with resized/resampled images (and with reduced color depth):
Untitled 1_resampled_images.odp
(58.65 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
See the file size and the quality of the embedded images.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

LibreOffice has shortcuts for the emojis in AutoCorrect, so you don't need to copy and paste from an external site. To get the three emojis in the sample file, type :grinning: for the grinning-face emoji. Type :football: for the american-football emoji and type :birthday: for the birthday-cake emoji. Do the emojis inserted using AutoCorrect produce the same problem in Windows 11?

It's my understanding that the emojis in Windows 11 are not the same emojis in earlier Windows versions. Zizi64 appears to be using the old Windows emojis which are displayed correctly. My Linux system uses the emojis from Noto Color Emoji and those are also displayed correctly. There may be a compatibility problem with the Windows 11 emojis, but someone using Windows 11 would have to confirm that.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Argh, I have missed something. I just tried your file with many of the portable LibreOffice versions, and only the B&W emojis (of the older LO versions) works fine, but the color ones not - in the presentation mode. Not work in the previously tested 7.4.2 version... Sorry.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

A similar problem here:

Problem of emojis rendering in Impress.

It was reported that the problem occurs in Windows when copying and pasting emojis from different websites. The solution was to insert emojis using Insert > Special Character and select from a font that has the emoji (Segoe UI Emoji in Windows).
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04