[Dropped] Update Links Annoyance

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
LHFromCA

[Dropped] Update Links Annoyance

Post by LHFromCA »

Ok here goes,
For the last seven years I have been using an Open Office calc file for keeping track of our expenditures and income and it works well. The file consists of two calendar files: a 30 day calendar, like the type you see hanging on the wall, and a seven day planner file, Monday to Sunday. Each of these make up a number of worksheets to represent every month and every week of the whole year. Every year I must create a new file which isn't easy, takes several hours to finish, and so I realized I might have one already made up that starts on the same day as this new year. 2017 started on the same day as 2023 so I simply copied the 2017 file, renamed it appropriately, and deleted all of the data in it that related to 2017. This saved me a bunch of time, however, it came with an annoyance. I keep getting this update links message:

Update all links?
AOO Link Message 1.jpg
AOO Link Message 1.jpg (9.55 KiB) Viewed 3038 times

That is followed by this message:
This file contains links to other files.
Should they be updated?
AOO Link Message 2.jpg
AOO Link Message 2.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 3038 times

I have read others similar experience and have tried following as best I could the directions given to fix this but nothing has worked so far. Initially the Edit/Links dialogue box showed an erroneous source file, ///C:/Users/me/Documents/Bill%252525252525252525252525252525adnaseum. I broke the link to that and saved the file which didn't work. I then read that the source file must be deleted as well so I updated the link and chose the file that was used to create this new file, the 2017 Bills file. I then cut the 2017 file from Documents and put it on a thumb drive before breaking this link and saving the file again. This did not solve the issue either and now the erroneous source file has been replaced with the 2017 file. I do not know what links are combining these two files either. I do have links in them but the links do not carry any data or reference to the other. On the 30 day calendar each day has a link titled "Daily Entry". Clicking on this link will take you to the corresponding day on the day planner worksheet where I put our expenditures which are tallied, multiplied by -1 to red ink them and this value is then brought back to the corresponding day on the 30 day calendar to be added to the previous days balance to create a new balance. In this way I can plan out all of our bills and income ahead of time and it works very well. The only other links I have are a link in the day planner sheet that takes you directly back to the 30 day calendar. On the first day of each month on the 30 day calendar I have highlighted in bold the balance of the previous months last day balance so that it carries forward in linear fashion. There is nothing else in the overall file that relates to any data outside the file itself that I know of so why does this keep coming up and more importantly, what other steps can I take to rid the file of this nuisance? Thank you ahead of time for your help.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Windows 10 Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: Update Links Annoyance

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you delete the data in the file a upload it here (see How to attach a document here)?
When I don't understand such links, I make a copy of the file and open it with an archive manager (provided you save in native .ods format) and in the content.xml file, look for the file name that is linked. It should give some hints where the links is situated.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10