[Solved] Unable to access a file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bukitbesi

[Solved] Unable to access a file

Post by bukitbesi »

Hello, I have a problem in which I am unable to access a file, despite several attempts to delete and reinstall the application. When I try to open a file, all I see is blinking and nothing else happens. Why? Is there an issue with my computer, or did I make a mistake? Any help?

BIG THANK YOU
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.13, but OpenOffice 3.1 lover
Hagar Delest

Re: Unable to access a file

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

If no change, witch to LibreOffice, much less troubles.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start opening the file, then walk away and leave it; come back 30/60 minutes later to see if it has opened. There are from time to time reports of files (particularly Calc format) taking a long time to open. If the file opens, immediately Save As under another name, in ODF (.odt, .ods etc) format.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

bukitbesi wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:27 pm Is there an issue with my computer...
Not enough information to evaluate. "OpenOffice 3.1" is very old and obsolete. Your operating system is unknown.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
bukitbesi

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to access a file

Post by bukitbesi »

As usual, everything seems to be OK right now. Based on the recommendation of Hagar Delest, I am now able to view the file.
Whoever you are, may God reward you abundantly for the fact that you are constantly there to aid people all across the globe. I pray that God will bless you with a recompense. Thanks Hagar Delest, RoryOF and Bill as well.
bukitbesi

Post by bukitbesi »

Bill wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:12 pm
bukitbesi wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:27 pm Is there an issue with my computer...
Not enough information to evaluate. "OpenOffice 3.1" is very old and obsolete. Your operating system is unknown.
Hi Bill, I have OpenOffice 4.1.13, the most recent version, but I'm a die-hard fan of OpenOffice 3.1, which was the first version of OpenOffice I ever used and the one that made me a convert.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Unable to access a file

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

No recompense in sight so far, don't stop praying!
I only got COVID last week, which canceled my long-awaited business trip to the USA. :evil:
At last I tested negative today, I'll be able to resume a normal life at home (no more a pariah isolated in the bedroom). Maybe I should take that for today's recompense.
bukitbesi

Post by bukitbesi »

Hagar Delest wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:49 pm Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

No recompense in sight so far, don't stop praying!
I only got COVID last week, which canceled my long-awaited business trip to the USA. :evil:
At last I tested negative today, I'll be able to resume a normal life at home (no more a pariah isolated in the bedroom). Maybe I should take that for today's recompense.
You should feel lucky because the conclusion is negative for today. I hope everything is fine with you and that you're feeling great. The trip to the United States is canceled due to a valid reason that may be beneficial for you in the long run. I truly hope that you are pleased in the company of your family and friends. Peace!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

bukitbesi wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:33 pm I truly hope that you are pleased in the company of your family and friends.
I do of course! But it takes a toll to remain alone for a whole week even in my own house to prevent the spreading.