OpenOffice and Java

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
lanzcc

OpenOffice and Java

Post by lanzcc »

I have 64-bit java, and so as I understand it I need a 32-bit version for OpenOffice. No problem, but exactly where should I put the 32-bit version? I still can't launch OpenOffice, so I have to do everything outside of its facilities.

Split from OpenOffice Base and Java (Hagar, Moderator).
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Ubuntu 14.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Base and Java

Post by Villeroy »

lanzcc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:55 pm I have 64-bit java, and so as I understand it I need a 32-bit version for OpenOffice. No problem, but exactly where should I put the 32-bit version? I still can't launch OpenOffice, so I have to do everything outside of its facilities.
Running Ubuntu Linux, you have to install package libreoffice-base. The right version of Java for LibreOffice should be installed anyway.

64-bit Linux -- > 64-bit Office --> 64-bit Java
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
lanzcc

Post by lanzcc »

Hello, Thanks, but to confirm, I should install libreoffice-base in order to use OpenOffice writer?
Next, I can't interpret the line "64-bit Linux -- > 64-bit Office --> 64-bit Java" in light of the assertion that OO requires 32-bit java, nor can I tell what this line tells me to do?
I have downloaded/extracted/installed jre 1.8.0_351, which had "i586" in the file name, and which does NOT have "64" anywhere, even though it doesn't have "32" anywhere either. I downloaded that following instructions from the java.com page "How do I download and install 32-bit java for Linux?" I have tried extracting it in the home directory and in the en-GB/DEBS directory that has many many openoffice files. OpenOffice will still not launch, either from the terminal "soffice" or by double-clicking on an .odt file created with LibreOffice.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

lanzcc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:10 pm Hello, Thanks, but to confirm, I should install libreoffice-base in order to use OpenOffice writer?
No, but YOU are appending to an 4 year old question in the dataBASE section of this forum. So why do you expect anybody to undestand you have problems to start writer.

Usually OpenOffice and LibreOffice can run without java. Some assistants and the default embedded Database HSQLDB need java.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

lanzcc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:10 pm ...
Next, I can't interpret the line "64-bit Linux -- > 64-bit Office --> 64-bit Java" in light of the assertion that OO requires 32-bit java, nor can I tell what this line tells me to do?
What you do is your choice. Villeroy hints to replace your 32bit OpenOffice with a 64bit LibreOffice. Then you can simply use the 64bit java...
If you prefer to solve the "where shall I put 32bit java" have fun with that...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice for LInux can be downloaded as a 64-bit application, so there is no bitness issue. The problem arises when you install OpenOffice on Windows because OpenOffice for Windows is not availlable as 64 bit application.
Running Ubuntu, you already have LibreOffice and Java installed (unless you removed it). In order to use Base, you have to install libreoffice-base because Base is not included in the default installation (for whatever reason, I don't know). Simply use what your distro has to offer.

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-base
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
lanzcc

Re: OpenOffice and Java

Post by lanzcc »

Hello, thanks again for your help. LibreOffice had to be uninstalled before OpenOffice could be installed (it is apparent from my research in these forums that ubuntu is one of the distros that has problems if the two try to exist side-by-side). I have downloaded/installed 64-bit OpenOffice, a 32-bit jdk, and libreoffice-base. I have been using a 64-bit java for years on the same machine. I am still unable to launch OpenOffice writer. All the brightly-colored icons for the various OpenOffice programs show up - as one would expect - using the desktop ubuntu search facility. I will next see if there is relevant help in the "dataBASE section of this forum" referred to by mountaineer - I'm not sure I've seen those. Next, a sys-admin tells me "The error messages don't say where it expects to find the libraries like Java, but that's what "ldd" is supposed to tell you. Find some of the
openoffice executable binary files and run "ldd" on them to see where it's trying to find its .so files." I presume this is a suggestion about where to put java, or a pointer to it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Both OpenOffice and LibreOffice live and run on my 64 bit Xubuntu 22.04.1; they are both 64 bit versions, and one doesn't need 32 bit Java.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am still unable to launch OpenOffice writer.
Not needed Java for launching the Writer application. The AOO needs Java for a few features (like the Wizards) and for some (third party, Java based) extensions.

There is some other problem about the installed office suite on your PC if you are unable to launch the AOO Writer.

I have downloaded/installed 64-bit OpenOffice, a 32-bit jdk, and libreoffice-base.
Why you install 32 bit JDK when your (Linux related) AOO is 64 bit?
32 bit AOO -> 32 bit JAVA
64 bit AOO -> 64 bit JAVA
This is a very simple thing...

Note: there is not 64 bit AOO version for Windows.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
lanzcc

Post by lanzcc »

Hello, It may not be as simple as you imply. I have done my homework (as suggested in the forum rules) and in there, more than one respondent has asserted categorically that OpenOfffice requires 32-bit java. I too found this to be odd, but I have followed that advice. Subsequently in the thread there was a post disputing this, but it refers to much later OS than I use. I am currently investigating the .openoffice/4/user/config/java_settings to see if I can turn off the java requirement entirely. Unfortunately, my version doesn't exactly match that of the advice I received, so I have to mess around with that for awhile first. Engineering professor: "Before you can do anything, you have to do something else."
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The 32bit issue applies to Windows. In this case, then yes, you need to have the 32bit Java installed.
Else, it has to fit your system, either 32 or 64bit.

But honestly, I would first upgrade the system to something more up to date before playing with Java. 14.04 is quite old and may cause trouble with latest packages, either Java, AOO or LO.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
lanzcc

Post by lanzcc »

Hello,

Oh God, yes! I would LOVE to upgrade my ubuntu. I tried. I extensively used advice from appropriate forums. I burned the ISO to a CD. Failed. I used the special facility for making a bootable usb drive. Failed. I tried to install from on line, same result. I got 18.10 installed, but it doesn't run at all. Because of the insulting posts I received, when (I thought) I was innocently asking questions, I stopped working on it. Under these circumstances, it's not especially helpful to say that I "should" upgrade ubuntu. Anyhow that's not going to precede my need for a word processor on 14.04 now.
lanzcc

Post by lanzcc »

BTW does anyone know where documentation for the file ".openoff/4/user/config/javasettings_Linuz_86_64.xml" can be found? Documentation of any openoffice java settings config file would probably do. Finding this by googling and searching herein has been unproductive - what's found there is incomplete from the point of view of 'complete' "Documentation" of that config file. (I apologize for duplication - I entered this text in the other forum by mistake, but different folks are following the thread in the two locations, so I think it's needed here also.)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried the Ubuntu forum? You got bad experience there? Quite sad.
I've been upgrading my machines for years with a usb key and never had any issue.
If you have the good application (usb-creator-gtk), enough space on the key of course and the possibility to boot on a usb key, then the most delicate is to preserve your data. It has to be prepared before.

Anyway, no multiposting, you have already another topic for the JRE issue.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

lanzcc wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:23 pm Hello,

Oh God, yes! I would LOVE to upgrade my ubuntu. I tried. I extensively used advice from appropriate forums. I burned the ISO to a CD. Failed. I used the special facility for making a bootable usb drive. Failed. I tried to install from on line, same result. I got 18.10 installed, but it doesn't run at all. Because of the insulting posts I received, when (I thought) I was innocently asking questions, I stopped working on it. Under these circumstances, it's not especially helpful to say that I "should" upgrade ubuntu. Anyhow that's not going to precede my need for a word processor on 14.04 now.
Before upgrading any linux, the best thing to do is to make a live DVD (CDs are too small now) or a live USB key, and see if your computer can run from that. If not, you need to get assistance from a forum for that linux variety.

Perhaps your computer is a 32 bit computer, and needs a 32 bit linux, and those you are trying to install are 64 bit? To find if computer is 32 or 64 bit you need to search online for for the specification of its make and model number.

If I remember correctly, the latest and last 32 bit ubuntu was 18.04. There are still some current 32 bit linux versions, but not Ubuntu variants.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS