LO 7.4.3 - "--convert-to pdf" different results between OSX and CentOS Stream 8

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
JaqenHghar

LO 7.4.3 - "--convert-to pdf" different results between OSX and CentOS Stream 8

Post by JaqenHghar »

Hello all,

have an urgent problem and hope you can help me.

I have installed LibreOffice 7.4.3 on the development environment (OSX 10.14.6) and the production environment (CentOS Stream 8).
On the OSX, the "soffice" command "-convert-to pdf" (docx -> pdf) returns a correct PDF. On the Linux system the generated PDF is wrong.

The following command gives different results:
soffice --headless --nodefault --convert-to 'pdf:writer_pdf_Export:{"UseLosslessCompression": {"type":"boolean","value":"true"}}' /tmp/docx_document.docx --outdir /tmp/
the placed vector icons in the Word are low resolution and totally pixelated / blurred in the generated Linux PDF
I have attached screenshots of the different PDF results of both systems

result OSX:
MacOSX.png
MacOSX.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
result CentOS:
CentOS.png
CentOS.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
are already known bugs in this regard?
how can i work around this error on the linux environment?

many thanks in advance
LibreOffice 7.4.3 on CentOS Stream 8 / LibreOffice 7.4.3 on MacOSX 10.14.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: LO 7.4.3 - "--convert-to pdf" different results between OSX and CentOS Stream 8

Post by John_Ha »

See the MacOS tutorial. It could be because on MacOS, File > Export to PDF ..., uses one method whereas clicking the PDF icon uses a different method. I forget the details but one uses the AOO code and the other uses the built-in PDF converter in MacOS.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JaqenHghar

Re: LO 7.4.3 - "--convert-to pdf" different results between OSX and CentOS Stream 8

Post by JaqenHghar »

thanks for the quick reply!
and that is exactly the problem. Under OSX both methods work (PDF icon directly and File -> Export to PDF).
The PDF is correct

Under Linux "soffice" the export does not work. The icons are wrong
Is there another method to generate a PDF under Linux LibreOffice cli that I could test?

And in my case the whole thing has to work under Linux
LibreOffice 7.4.3 on CentOS Stream 8 / LibreOffice 7.4.3 on MacOSX 10.14.6