[Solved] Keep important document in recent document list

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
twiceanana@gmail.com

[Solved] Keep important document in recent document list

Post by twiceanana@gmail.com »

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to keep a recent document at the top of the list of recent documents. There is one document I use a lot but it often makes it's way down the list of other documents that I use less often.
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] as several solutions have neen provided -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: recent document list

Post by RoryOF »

Not that I know of; it would be good if a small number of documents could be marked to stay at top of the Recent Documents list.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
twiceanana@gmail.com

Exactly! That would be a wonderful option. Does anyone know how to make that suggestion to Apache development team?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Apache development team
:shock:

A workaround tip:

Write a macro to open your favorite document, and assign it above the "recent list" menu item.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
twiceanana@gmail.com

No idea on how to write a macro. Can you give me step by step directions please?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Similar topic:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... =5&t=17075

Code: Select all

Sub MyRecentDoc

REM edit the file name as needed
   FileName = "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\TestFile.odt"
   FileName = convertToURL(FileName)
   Empty() = Array()
   TestDoc = StarDesktop.loadComponentFromURL(FileName, "_blank", 0, Empty())
end sub

You can edit the URL (the Path and the filename) in the future, when need an another recent document.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
twiceanana@gmail.com

Sorry, I am completely clueless when it comes to this. Where to I go to make these changes?
MrProgrammer

Re: Keep important document in recent document list

Post by MrProgrammer »

twiceanana@gmail.com wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:00 pm Can anyone tell me if there is a way to keep a recent document at the top of the list of recent documents.
I use The "Favorites" extension to provide quick, permanent access to specific documents. There are instructions and pictures in that link to guide you.

However, as noted in the first paragraph of that link, it may be easiest to use the facilities of your operating system to open specific documents, especially if installing and configuring this extension seems difficult to you. All modern operating systems provide a way to do that, but the process varies, depending on what operating system you use (MacOS, Linux, Windows, OS/2, etc.) On MacOS, in a minute or so, I created a Favorites folder on my computer, put links to important documents in it, and then opened them from there. The folder was what I used before I created the extension, which was a "I wonder if I could do this …" idea, but I liked it so well that I use it all the time now.

RoryOF wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:04 pm Not that I know of; it would be good if a small number of documents could be marked to stay at top of the Recent Documents list.
That's exactly what this extension does, but they are in a separate menu instead of File → Recent Documents. I use File → Load → list of important documents. One could easily configure sub-menus of Load, perhaps for different projects or for different templates, though I don't do that myself.

Zizi64 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:12 pm
Sub MyRecentDoc
   FileName = "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\TestFile.odt"
   FileName = convertToURL(FileName)
   Empty() = Array()
   TestDoc = StarDesktop.loadComponentFromURL(FileName, "_blank", 0, Empty())
End Sub
This is more or less what the extension does, except it provides a way to open password-protected documents too. Determining how to do that was the fun part of the project.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A hack. You could put them in your Templates folder and access them by File > New > Templates or similar. Be sure to include the location in your backup.

Or put them, or links to them as Mr Programmer suggests, in a folder on your desktop. Go to that folder and double click which one you want to open.

If you get a simple macro just to open ...\fred.odt, you can run that macro by clicking an icon on a Toolbar or by creating a menu list of documents. This is trickier as you have to add new macros for new favourites.

LO has a longer list of Recent documents.
Last edited by John_Ha on Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it mattered to me, which it doesn't, as I remember the name and locations of my small number of regular working files, I would Save them to my desktop, which I keep sparsely populated. Then, clicking on an icon would immediately open that file,

Descriptive file names are a great help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I do the following for frequently used documents, which keeps my Desktop very clear, but it takes a bit of setting up:

In the Windows Start Menu create a folder called 'FREQUENT'. In that folder put shortcuts to the documents you are currently using most frequently. Now you can access any of those documents via hitting keyboard keys in sequence one after another (not as a combined keyboard combination).

So the following illustration shows how this works (I hope):
Frequent (Annotated).png
Frequent (Annotated).png (47.7 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
As you can see, I can access a document instantly with three keypresses, which can be done very quickly. One thing to help this along is when you create your shortcuts in the FREQUENT folder make sure that each shortcut starts with a first letter that is different from all of the other shortcuts. So in my illustration I have shortcuts that start with the letter 'C', 'P', 'D', 'O', 'S' and 'W' — see, each one is unique in that respect. (You also need to make sure that the folder you created called 'FREQUENT' is a unique letter to any other items, or in-built keyboard shortcuts that can be launched with a keypress, in the root of the Start Menu.)

You do not have to make each one unique, you can have shortcuts starting with the same initial letter and that will still work though with a slight difference - just experiment a bit and you will see what happens — in this instance you would have to hit the 'Enter' key as the final key in the sequence. Just experiment and you will see how it works.

Should also be said that for my Windows 7 and Windows 10 systems I use Open Shell (formally known as Classic Shell) set to show the Classic Style Start Menu which can be adapted very readily to give the functionality that I describe above. Whether my system of managing this would work with a default Start Menu for Windows 10 as supplied by Microsoft I do not know. But the default Start Menu for Windows 7 and 10 are pretty well unusable in my opinion so I never use them. If it wasn't for Open Shell I would have abandoned Windows once WindowsXP became redundant.
Last edited by LastUnicorn on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Under Windows, you can pin files associated to an application. Then you just have to right click the application icon in the toolbar to access a recent documents list and at the top the pinned documents.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10