[Solved] A conceptual question: word processors vs. desktop publishings?

Talk about anything at all....
mtnylmz

[Solved] A conceptual question: word processors vs. desktop publishings?

Post by mtnylmz »

Hello, this is very general question and is not directly related to the writer, but writer is a "word processor". I have never ever used a "desktop publishing" app. Would you please the basic differences between "word processors" and "desktop publishing" programs? One of them is "Scribus" and the interface is very similar to "word processors".

Thanks.
Last edited by mtnylmz on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OppenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: A conceptual question: word processors vs. desktop publishings?

Post by robleyd »

One of them is "Scribus" and the interface is very similar to "word processors".
It would seem you haven't actually used Scribus. Whilst the interface is similar, using Scribus is a totally different experience from using a word processor.

This page from Scribus Wiki seems to summarise it quite well.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Re: A conceptual question: word processors vs. desktop publishings?

Post by RoryOF »

I haven't used Scribus, but in the past did use PageMaker and InDesign. Desktop publishing apps offer more variety in complex layout, and can serve as editors. An advanced Word Processor, such as OpenOffice, serves as a powerful text editor and can handle reasonably complex layout.

Since changing from Word to OpenOffice I have not needed to use a desktop publishing application, and have laid out several books of text content and a few illustrated booklets, albeit of simple design.
 Edit:  When using desktop publishing applications, I found it easiest to use a simple word processor to prepare the text files, and then "pour" these into the desktop publishing applications for advanced formatting and layout; at the time I was preparing two matching multi-language illustrated books which I could not have managed at the time using Word. I think now they could be handled using OpenOffice which has more power than Word of the time.  
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS