[Solved] Does OpenOffice use a default search engine?

Talk about anything at all....
Dawid

[Solved] Does OpenOffice use a default search engine?

Post by Dawid »

Hi, does OpenOffice use a default search engine, IE Bing?

Edit: Changed subject, was open office defaults 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
openoffice 4.1.13 windows 11
Hagar Delest

Re: Does OpenOffice use a default search engine?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is no search feature that I know of, even in LibreOffice, which has more features than AOO.
What would be the point? Sparing a copy and paste in your web browser?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Dawid

Post by Dawid »

Thank you Hagar, my computer is running very slow and I get the feeling that something is running in the background slowing it down, I put Bing into my computer search and it came up with Bing associated with lots of Open Office.
I use Wise care 365 regularly to clean it up but get the feeling that either Bing or Microsoft Edge is in the background slowing it up.
Thank you for your reply regards Dawid.
openoffice 4.1.13 windows 11
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If the system slows down even if AOO is not running (check for any soffice.bin process in the task manager), then it would hardly be linked.
I avoid such integration (Bing) because indeed they can try to guess what the user will do in the short future on his machine and may take much resource to anticipate that.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Dawid wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:33 pm Does OpenOffice use a default search engine?
No, if you have installed the OpenOffice application from the proper download page. If you installed OpenOffice from somewhere else, you may have installed malware on your computer. Malware can cause your computer to operate poorly. The OpenOffice forum is not the right place to diagnose problems with your Windows computer.

Writer does have a web search feaure which helps one create hyperlinks with the View → Toolbars → Hyperlink Bar. After typing a search term in the leftmost field of the toolbar, one can search using the rightmost "Find" button of the toolbar. But there is no default for the search; one must select which search engine to use. Bing is not one of the pre-defined search engines, but you could add it. The search engines are configured in option Internet → Search. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms.

If you have determined that Bing is performing web searches, the only way OpenOffice would be involved is if:
you added the Bing search engine in Internet → Search and then you perfomed searches with the Hyperlink Bar, or
you used the Insert → Hyperlink dialog (or the toolbar) to create hyperlinks to Bing and then you clicked them in your document.

Dawid wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:40 pm I use Wise care 365 regularly to clean it up …
Perhaps Wise Case 365 itself is the problem:
Why windows defender deleted Wise Care 365
Wise Care 365 - How to remove

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Dawid wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:40 pm my computer is running very slow and I get the feeling that something is running in the background slowing it down
1. Start C:\Windows\System32\Taskmgr.exe (TaskManager) and check what programs are using CPU or disk I/O or memory.

2. Boot the PC in Safe Mode - google for how. Is it now better? If so it is one of the programs which starts when the PC boots causing the problem. Go to the Startup tab in TaskManager and disable everything you can safely do without.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.