Cannot open saved files and documents

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
loanmaker

Cannot open saved files and documents

Post by loanmaker »

Hi. I have a number of saved files and documents which I normally access with 'Open' 'Saved'. These files and documents have all been created on OP and saved in the normal simple way.

Now when I go through the process I get a large Filter Box with a long list of commands - but NOT the file.

This is more worrying because I am an author and most of the saved files relate to work around unfinished books - but also historical correspondence .

If I select any command inside the Filter Box I get a message saying 'File Corrupt'

What can I do about this?
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Cannot open saved files and documents

Post by Zizi64 »

Can you upload one of the problematic documents here? (the file size limit is 128 KiB on this forum.)

What file type are you using? .odt? .doc? .rtf? .txt? or some other?
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The ASCII filter box tells that OpenOffice cannot understand the file type. Until the reason for this is understood, you _MUST NOT_ Save over any of the old files, as you could destroy it beyond recovery.

Have your files been moved from an older computer? If so, they may have been damaged in the move. Would you please upload a small sample file showing the error for investigation.

Edit:  If the files have been moved from an older computer, do keep that old computer available, in case the file move has to be redone.  
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
loanmaker

Post by loanmaker »

Thanks for the reply - sorry it has taken so long to respond. I am an author and have several books in progress - all of them are stored on OO and memory sticks. For reasons I cannot explain the memory sticks have gone missing and I can't access the files using the normal Open Command. I get a grey Box opened C:\Users\Jackc\OneDrive\Documents\OldStuff. This is where the document is located - along with others. The file name has Open Document Tex under the Type column, then the size and the date is was created. I cannot find a way to open any of the documents listed in this grey box and I cannot find any other way to open them in OO.
PLEASE HELP - three years work in these!
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
loanmaker

Post by loanmaker »

I am using version Apache OpenOffice 4.1.13
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot help with files stored on OneDrive as I have no experience of that. I suggest you redouble your efforts to locate the missing memory sticks. Are the same files also stored on your local hard disk? If so, such copies may be legible.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
loanmaker

Post by loanmaker »

Thanks for taking the time. I will see what I can do with finding the details elsewhere.
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Find someone local with good computer skills to look at your PC for you and find your files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.